Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri-boot system, 2 different grub configs

Beans

Re: Tri-boot system, 2 different grub configs

Is the above copy/paste better? Please have a look. I copy/pasted originally in Libre Office. Hence the obscure results. Changed it to be opened by Kate. It is a bit more readable now, I think.
    The results are after having re-set the Grub through the live USB, of course.
    Last edited by Hodevah; March 7th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Changed a /QUOTE to /CODE to get it all in code tags.

If it boots it must be an issue with script as the MBR says partition 72. I have seen that before and some versions of grub must not parse correctly?

Very minor point - some of your labels have spaces. I stopped using spaces when I converted to Linux as if you later want to use the labels to mount partitions or other uses you have to add quotes or escape the space to get it seen correctly. I now use CamelCase or under_score or justonelongname, up to length allowed.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi oldfred. Ok. So you mention, and I noticed this too on the output results text, what is necessary to having the MBR on partition 72 fixed or altered ( if possible, that is and also if it is necesary) to have this issue fixed?
    I guess I should be asking this question because I am thinking of installing Fedora or OpenSuse at some point in the future and would like to ensure that this problem is resolved. Right now, it is resolved albiet by having used the Boot repair through the Ubuntu Live CD. This fixed the problem. However, as I had Grub-customizer installed in Peppermint as well (uninstalled it as I didnt deem it necessary to have 2 insalls of same program). In having said that last bit, I still saw that grub-customizer (before uninstall) still showed the 'wacked-up" display of Grub within Peppermint.

So to prevent any future occurances of this occuring again, how to resolve, please?

Secondly, you mentioned that having labels for some of the NTFS drives.
    Are you saying that with some of the labels on the drives:

C.Drive.Win.7
    Media Drive
    I should/might/ re-label them as such for example:
    C_Drive_Win.7
    Drive_D_DATA
    Back_Up_HDD
    Media_Drive
    or even place quotes on the labels?

I just want to ensure that I understand you correctly so that I can go and make necessary corrections based on your experience and/or knowledge.
    Thanks again for your response.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do not use quotes, that may confuse it more. But underscores or just leaving out spaces is fine. I find I can use Disk Utility about the easiest to edit labels.

I think it is a boot script (and grub?) issue on displaying the correct info. If you can boot then it is not an install issue.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok. Great. At least one of 2 questions answered. So with it being a boot (and possibly a Grub) script, what can I do to enable a correction, then?

I can boot into either of the 3 operating systems just fine. So therefore, per your knowledge (and I think I do agree with you) that it is not an install issue of Peppermint. Or of either OS for that matter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can boot then it has to be ok, grub would not be booting if it really was looking at partition 72. Not sure why script sees that. Grub keeps changing and script has to keep up, but then newest version may not parse the same as the old version.

Beans

It seems to me that every time Peppermint has an update ( like just recently) that the Grub is reconfigured to its 'wacked-out' state. Having to go and do a Boot-repair each time is a bit of a hassle. So I was thinking, would a simple copy/paste of Grub from Mint to Peppermint ( after backing up Grub from Peppermint) have some kind of a permanent effect so that I dont have to go and renew Grub each and every time there is a Peppermint update? They both use Grub2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have so many Ubuntu installs from testing and then adding another 25GB partition for another test and never housecleaning that I do it almost all manually. And I have flash drives that I totally maintain manual grub configurations that boot the installs I most use.

I turn-off os-prober and add only the entries I want in 40_custom. Debian based distributions put a link to the most current kernel into / (root).

#Add menu entry to 40_custom, change example from sda13 to your partition.
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #Turn off prober
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    #Add this line
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    #update grub menu
    sudo update-grub
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

I first saw this from Ranch hand
    Note that this does not define the kernel. It defines the partition. It boots the newest bootable kernel that it finds at that partition. example based on sda13 change all 13's to your partition number.
    At least for Ubuntu family OS's, they all place symlinks in /, called vmlinuz and initrd.img These point to the most recent versions of the kernel in the /boot folder.
    More info:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1542338

menuentry "Daily on sda13" {
    set root=(hd0,13)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    }

You may want to turn off the writing of grub in your other install also. If you uncheck all drives & partitions it does not reinstall anywhere.

#To see what drive grub2 uses see this line - grub-pc/install_devices:
    sudo debconf-show grub-pc
    sudo grub-probe -t device /boot/grub

#to get grub2 to remember where to reinstall on updates:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    #Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12