Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install problems

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install problems

Lampanda... I too am new to all this and this is where i went and read about installation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI Maye helps you too.

Beans

Ubuntu is the only OS on the hard drive, and after typing in [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD", it said Legacy boot on HDD, which means I am the EFI boot. It is an older laptop and I'm not sure if the hardware didn't support the UEFI (but I could've sworn my Windows was 64-bit) or if the disc I installed it from was 32-bit. However, the page says that if Ubuntu is the only OS the HDD, it shouldn't matter which one it boots in.

Beans

Maybe this helps a bit, but just to clarify I formatted the disk, installed Ubuntu, everything was perfect, ran updates, everything stopped working, reinstalled Ubuntu (not a repair, fresh install), internet was working but did not do updates, brought laptop home, would not go to desktop but would go to login screen, internet not being detected now, however, it notices that the cable is plugged in (at least I am gathering this from the fact that Wired Connection 1 is selected but says it is disconnected, compared to when I remove the cable it just says Disconnected). The cable itself is good and everything else as I am using the same internet connection on this computer...

Beans

I gave you the link for if you have windows 8 and all that uefi boot stuff...here's the download page, maybe download the ISO for 12.10 that is compatable for your system and set it up to run off the image, I have Win 8 as my host so i went with the amd64 iso. because of the UEFI boot, http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop Good luck BTW if yours is 32 bit you need the i386 iso, if it's 64 bit you need the amd64, there is a bittorrent link to download the one you need.
    Last edited by cruizer04; March 14th, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Beans

I'm kind of leery of trying to advise further - I know the Broadcom *wireless* drivers can be tricky but I would have expected the *wired* device to be OK out of the box - I don't want to waste your time just throwing ideas at you but things you could try

- check that your /etc/network/interfaces file has nothing apart from the lo (loopback) definition that might be interfering with network-manager

- delete the 'Wired connection 1' using the GUI applet (under 'Edit connections...') and reboot - it should create a new completely vanilla wired connection (just in case there's something funny in the old one)

Beans

Cruizer04- I will probably just try to do a fresh install with 12.10 since this is not working out properly. Thanks.
    Steeldriver- Thank you so much for all of your help. I cannot access any GUI or desktop at all. If I remember correctly in the terminal, I would type in cd /etc then manually go down to interfaces (by way of cd /network, then cd /interfaces) and look that way, unless Ubuntu managed that differently from Windows which I wouldn't doubt. I do not know how I would delete the Wired Connection 1. It is grayed out and won't let me click it.

Again, Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be sure to let you know if I manage to fail again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you do a clean install on 12.10, you could use the opportunity to try Xubuntu in stead of Ubuntu. For semi-old hardware it's a better choice.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks morgaes. I will try Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu and see how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

guys, I am surprised to see ipv6 and no ipv4 routing in the output. Is ipv4 routing enabled ?
    check:
    From communications icon in top task bar; right click -> edit connections ->click on the wired connection ->edit;
    1st screen insure MTU = Automatic, ipv4 settings; method box = Automatic (DHCP), lower left corner ->available to all users check box is checked;
    ipv6 settings; again the method is set to Automatic and avail to all users box is checked.

Transfer of data. Oh man let us by all means do so easier ! Called copy and paste !-
    Here should be a simple enough method:
    1. open file manager -> new file
    2. mouse at start of data to be copied -> hold left mouse button and drag across all data lines to be copied; right click - choose "copy"
    3. in the new file window right click - choose paste [paste in the content of the "clipboard"].
    4. Rename the "new file" to something more descriptive.
    5. copy the file to the usb device.

easy peasy

Beans

I cannot click on the Edit Connections at all. The computer that needs help is a laptop. I am on a desktop now. Cannot copy and paste to a computer that it was not copied on. And seeing as how the desktop on the laptop is not accessible, I would not be able to copy/paste to a word program or what have you to transfer it to this computer to upload for you. Also, in the terminal, how am I to copy/paste? No mouse pointer and when using the arrow keys if just inputs the previous thing I typed in. I know how to copy thank you but seeing as I cannot simply select whatever from there, it is no use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast