Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install problems

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install problems

I really am a complete noob when it comes to Linux operating systems, and I've looked everywhere but cannot fix this.
    I have a laptop (Dell Latitude D620) which used to have Windows 7 on it, but it went to crap and a friend told me to try Ubuntu. She had a cd with 12.04 on it and it installed perfectly and the first time it booted to the desktop with no problems. I then did all the updates and the screen went black. I rebooted the laptop and it went right to the update window and asked if I wanted to complete the updates, so I clicked yes. It then completed everything and rebooted itself. From there is where the problems began.
    It would show the splash screen with the Ubuntu logo, but after that the screen would go black. No login screen or anything. I could not even get to the terminal. I could reboot into 'Safe Mode' and get to a terminal that way and I searched many forums with similar-sounding problems and nothing helped. After what seemed like forever trying different solutions - I guess Ubuntu has problems with Nvidia graphics - I gave up and just re-installed it from the disk. I figured that I would just not update it and try to find solutions in teh mean time. The install worked and went to the desktop again.
    Well I just tried to turn the laptop on again and it goes to the login screen, but after I log on, it just goes to the default backgroung with the mouse pointer, no menu or icons. I can get to the terminal and I tried many more 'fixes', but I cannot update anything. Running sudo apt-get update does not work, it just says Failed to Fetch. Another solution was to run sudo apt-get install aptitude gnome-panel gnome-shell (I guess that fixed it for many people), but it would fail the install. I have the internet cable plugged right into the laptop and it works on the other computer, just not this one.
    Sorry for the huge post, but the more details the better. Any help would be great.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Fresh install problems

It could be a graphic driver problem and need booting with the nomodeset option, so follow the instructions below to see if this works.

1. When you next power-on, hold shift and you should see the grub menu.
    2. With the first line highlighted in the menu hit "E" for edit.
    3. Use cursor keys to go to the line that looks something like
      Code:
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-37-generic root=UUID=9555e579-7173-40ff-b0ef-5c254e1e1bb4 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
      and add nomodeset to the line after quiet splash.
    4. Use Ctrl+X to boot and with luck you may get to a normal desktop.
    5. If this works use
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
      to open that file with root permissions and again add nomodeset to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so it reads GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    6. Run command
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
      and reboot, hopefully this time to a normal desktop.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

It did not work. I found the first line with quiet splash and made it quiet splash nomodesest and when I booted it, it said I was in low-graphics mode, which made sense, but there was no mouse pointer. It took me quite a while to click the OK buttons haha. The second popup asked me why I was in this mode (one-time only, troubleshoot, reboot, etc.) and I left it on the pre-selected one-time and managed to find the OK button. The third popup said please wait while the display resets, had a unavailable cancel button, a full green progress bar, and an OK button. After 10 minutes, I clicked the Ok button (I didn't know if it was doing something). It then went straight to a black screen with vertical blue lines and in the top left corner looked like the _ for typing into a terminal, but it wouldn't type. I could not even get to the terminal from this screen. I don't know if somehow I did something wrong in that first step or if this laptop cannot run Ubuntu...

Thank you very much for your help and also for your fast reply.

Beans

What video card does the laptop have? If you don't know. type " lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`" into a terminal and type the output here. If you need a terminal if the desktop wont show, on the keyboard, press ctrl+alt+F1 and type it there.

Beans

First of all, my mistake. It is Ubuntu 12.10, not 12.04. The disc said 12.04 but I just realized it says 12.10 on the login screen. Not sure if this changes anything.
    It said lspci -s: invalid slot number. It's integrated graphics. I typed instead: lspci | grep "VGA" and came up with this:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    VGA was in red text

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Iampanda; Hi !
    Continue to look at this as a graphics driver problem. Terminal codes:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    to see what driver (if any) is loaded, and what drivers the kernel is aware of.
    just try'n to help

Beans

I'm not sure that the Intel chips recognize the 'nomodeset' boot option - I have one in an old Thinkpad and iirc the Intel equivalent is 'i915.modeset=0'

I seem to remember that the newer i915 driver does not actually support a non-KMS mode, so the actual effect of the switch is to dump you to the default VESA driver, nevertheless it may be worth a try

Having said that, the last time I installed anything on that Thinkpad I think it worked out of the box so I'd kind of assumed the newer kernel / driver combos were OK

Beans

Did you try simply soulution - to run proprietery drivers?

Beans

Bashing-om:
    sudo lshw -c display
    *-display:0
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    resources: irq:16 memory:eff00000-eff7ffff ioport:eff8(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:efec0000-efefffff
    *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
    description: Display controller
    product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2.1
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:eff80000-efffffff

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
    subsystem: Dell Device [1028:01c2]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: intelfb, i915

Beans

steeldriver:
    How would I go about dumping to the default VESA driver?
    Simica:
    I may sound really stupid for this, but it won't update anything at the terminal so how would I get the Intel drivers?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast