Thread: I don't want Ubuntu grub when using Windows 8

Beans

I don't want Ubuntu grub when using Windows 8

Hi

I am fairly new to Linux (1 - 2 years experience) and I have an issue. My primary OS is Windows 8 and I have install Ubuntu through wubi.

When I boot my machine I get a windows 8 type screen asking to boot to Windows or Ubuntu, all good so far, but when I boot Ubuntu it then comes up with the Ubuntu grub
    asking if I want to boot into recovery mode and a couple other options. Is there a way to boot straight to Ubuntu when clicked and skip the Ubuntu grub screen??

I don't mind working like this at the moment but It is becoming a bit of a hassle when I want to quickly boot into Ubuntu.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rhys
    Last edited by rhyswilson92; March 7th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

Re: I don't want Ubuntu grub when using windows 8

If you go into Win 8 and set Ubuntu as your default OS, then you should only see the Ubuntu grub screen. It's under advanced system settings, but just make sure your signed in as administrator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    If you go into Win 8 and set Ubuntu as your default OS, then you should only see the Ubuntu grub screen. It's under advanced system settings, but just make sure your signed in as administrator.
    Thanks for the reply.

If I do this will the Ubuntu grub give me the option of Windows? I ask because in the current setup it doesn't give you the option.

Thanks

Beans

It should, but you could also run Grub Customizer in Ubuntu to make sure.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/10023...rub-boot-order

Beans

Okay I'll give that a try. I have just installed ubuntu again only yesterday so I have still to configure the wireless but I will let you know how things go.

Thanks
    Rhys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No you cannot boot Windows from wubi's version of grub. That would be an infinite loop. You can set grub menu to only show for a few seconds. Some change it to 0 but then have issues and cannot get to it, so I suggest 1 or 2 seconds. Default is 10 for 10 seconds:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

If you like Ubuntu it may be time to change to a full install.

From the developer of wubi:
    http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/0...o-wubi-ubuntu/
    Agostino: Wubi actually wasn’t designed to do long-term installations. The main aim was really to let people try out Ubuntu with confidence. Normally, users that start with Wubi tend to upgrade to a full installation to a dedicated partition at the next release cycle.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just turn off the os-prober and it will not detect windows. Boot your wubi, open terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    sudo update-grub
    That should get rid of the windows entry, and when ubuntu is the only OS detected the grub2 menu doesn't show by default.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Hi

I decided to go with "oldfred" on this one as I decided after some technical difficulties I would
    still like to access recovery mode and that worked a treat although I want to add that after you have edited
    the grub file you must enter the following code to configure it:

sudo update-grub

This updates the grub.cfg file

Anyway thanks for help

Rhys