Thread: Lemur vs. Gazelle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lemur vs. Gazelle

I am considering buying a laptop to replace my trusty white Darter. (Carl, perhaps you should have an option to "compare" computers on the S76 page, rather than have to open two windows/tabs to see!)

I think the choices come down to the Lemur Ultra, or the Gazelle Professional. The way I've configured them there is a ~$300 difference, but I am fortunate that this is not a serious issue.

I love the size and especially the weight of the Darter, but some of the company web sites I have to use do not seem to like the screen size so much. I know it's poor coding on the part of our IT department, but nothing I can do about that. Some of the sites the company has run the text/icons together so badly they are almost unreadable/unclickable on the Darter's screen - it does not happen on my Wild Dog with it's large screen. I can work around that, mostly.

I am not wild about carrying the extra pound the Gazelle has (I schlep through a lot of airports), and wonder also about the size of the adaptor, since it only has the more power intensive i7 processor. I don't need or want a desktop replacement, but want a good performer. I think either of these will be acceptable, given my usage, but faster is always better with computers. That said, I would rather not have an adaptor the size and weight of a brick.

I think I would prefer the matte finish and higher resolution, but that by itself is not a killer item...

What type of battery life do they each have? Honestly, it's a little annoying that S76 don't have better than they do (really my one and only complaint about the Darter) - I would like to for example watch a movie or two on a commercial flight, and maybe even have some battery life left. That would require at least 3 hours, which has the better battery life? Are there bigger batteries available for either one that would stretch that more?

Any chance S76 will be offering a tablet any time soon? I have a company issued android device and am overall pleased with it's size, weight and especially the battery life, though still am not nearly as comfortable with the OS as I am with Linux. I do not do anything on the tablet personal in nature, and want my linux when I am on the road.

Probably 75% of the time, will be using the laptop in airports, hotels and on flights. Given the choice, which would you choose, and why?

Beans

Re: Lemur vs. Gazelle

I recently got a Gazelle, here is my review:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134018

The Gazelle adapter is small and light, it is smaller than the previous generation Pangolin. I can also get 3+ hours of battery life, but mostly on text editing and occasional compile (small C++ or LaTeX). You can improve the battery life with smaller CPU, less RAM and SSD. You can also buy additional batteries (which you have to carry).

For me, the screen is a winner, but the tradeoff between weight and size is something that you have to decide yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I recently got a Gazelle, here is my review:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134018

The Gazelle adapter is small and light, it is smaller than the previous generation Pangolin. I can also get 3+ hours of battery life, but mostly on text editing and occasional compile (small C++ or LaTeX). You can improve the battery life with smaller CPU, less RAM and SSD. You can also buy additional batteries (which you have to carry).

For me, the screen is a winner, but the tradeoff between weight and size is something that you have to decide yourself.
    Is a larger capacity battery available, or just another of the same size to swap out? How big is it, and what does it weigh? You mention how much smaller the power supply is, that is a good thing! I've seen ones that are huge and seem to weigh a ton.

Having put an SSD in the Wild Dog (using it for the "/", 2TB sata for "/home", "/swap" and "/data"), I know what that can do for boot times, and it really flies through processing updates. Since it's a desktop, no idea what it does as far as power consumption, but gotta think it's much better.

How are the speakers? I've found most laptops skimp some on these, leaving them sounding somehwat "tinny". It would be nice to hear the Gazelle has good sound.

Thanks for the quick reply. Am leaning towards the Gazelle. I've never been disappointed getting a higher quality anything. Like my dad always used to say, "I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff". (Not saying anything from S76 is cheap, meaning low quality, have been happy with both I hav gotten from them.)

I rather hope they have some in next month, will need to travel to Denver anyway, and think I will stop in again.

Beans

I mean same battery size, just a second one. I haven't measured it, but I don't mind carrying it around. It is negligible compared to the rest of the stuff in my bad that i am carrying anyway.

I have not extensively tested the sound of the Gazelle, I think it is OK for a laptop, but don't expect anything fancy.