Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New MacPro - Ubuntu Surprise (EFI)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New MacPro - Ubuntu Surprise (EFI)

Quote Originally Posted by supermariofan25 View Post
    Dont worry, Im not going to remove it in fact im thinking of reposting it more spaced out and with steps so its easier to read and understand
    Great, please do that for posterity.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Sorry for the belated reply, I've been under the weather. They were PC laptops with Core2Duo processors and i5 processors with Intel Video. An OSX without rEFIt does nothing at all on these systems, with rEFIt I get to the rEFIt boot screen and that's as far as it goes. It won't even give me a flashing cursor without rEFIt. I thought that was the point of the rEFIt loader (to provided an EFI emulation so that a non-Mac could boot). How else would you get a non-Mac to boot OSX then.
    Yeah rEFIt actually needs an EFI to work but doesn't work with the UEFI in the Win8 PC's, only Intel Macs. If you you want to boot OS X on Windows BIOS PC's google OS X x86, booting OS X on a PC is dependent on if your hardware or Computer are compatible with the custom drivers they have made so far. for the best chance look at the compatibility list for OS X 10.6.2 or 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard" as it has been out for longer. To stay with the law, do not download a pre made DVD ISO as that would be pirating, please do your best to buy a legit retail disk and then put the additional drivers and mods together your self, if you do find that to hard than buy a retail disk and then download a pre made "illegal" ISO file, dont feel to bad for yourself if you choose to download the illegal ISO file pre made, just make shore that you but a legit retail disk to at least give apple some money for the modded ISO file and you should be fine if you do choose to do so I would recommend OS X x86 Snow Leopard by Hazard, just Google it! but make shure you research what hardware of consumer PC's it is compatible with before you go wasting money and downloads

P.S. I do not encourage pirating of copyrighted objects or media.

Beans

Great, please do that for posterity.
    Yes, I will do that! and as of right now I cant do Pictures sorry (Again i dont have a Mac Pro yet... maybe in the years to come ). Haven't been checking the forums lately so no repost yet, will do so in my spare time. Also if you are new with the World of Macintosh then I sugest you check the Mac Rumors Forums for everything Macintosh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by supermariofan25 View Post
    Yeah rEFIt actually needs an EFI to work but doesn't work with the UEFI in the Win8 PC's, only Intel Macs. If you you want to boot OS X on Windows BIOS PC's google OS X x86, booting OS X on a PC is dependent on if your hardware or Computer are compatible with the custom drivers they have made so far. for the best chance look at the compatibility list for OS X 10.6.2 or 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard" as it has been out for longer. To stay with the law, do not download a pre made DVD ISO as that would be pirating, please do your best to buy a legit retail disk and then put the additional drivers and mods together your self, if you do find that to hard than buy a retail disk and then download a pre made "illegal" ISO file, dont feel to bad for yourself if you choose to download the illegal ISO file pre made, just make shore that you but a legit retail disk to at least give apple some money for the modded ISO file and you should be fine if you do choose to do so I would recommend OS X x86 Snow Leopard by Hazard, just Google it! but make shure you research what hardware of consumer PC's it is compatible with before you go wasting money and downloads

P.S. I do not encourage pirating of copyrighted objects or media.
    The law is the leas of my worries. I purchased from Apple through the app store, then extracted the install from the img file and put it on a DVD, it boots fine on my Mac. I also put it on a USB stick which also boots fine on my Mac (With or without rEFIt).
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans

The law is the leas of my worries. I purchased from Apple through the app store, then extracted the install from the img file and put it on a DVD, it boots fine on my Mac. I also put it on a USB stick which also boots fine on my Mac (With or without rEFIt).
    I was talking about snow leopard, to use on a "Hackintosh" (Windows PC that runs OS X), I wasn't talking about Mountain Lion although Mountain Lion does work with some products.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123