Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    I do wonder why they didn't choose to build on top of KDE, as I wonder what made the trash Wayland. In Wayland's case it seems that the perceived lacks where not real, perhaps they didn't evaluate KDE's possibilities properly either?

Anyway, who cares, if they come up with something better everybody wins, if not, KDE will still be a great DE.
    I suspect that coming up with something better is their goal. Right or wrong, they believe that they can create a Desktop that is superior by creating their own display and window managers. Personally, I've come to enjoy Unity (despite my initial skepticism) and enjoy it quite a bit more than the old gnome, gnome shell, or KDE. If they're able to accomplish the same development speed with Mir, they could be very successful. Granted, they could also fail miserably.

Beans

Just installed the latest ISO of Kubuntu last week (March 2013) to see what it is like.
    My PC has a modular hard-drive bay.
    Have half a dozen SSHDs I can pop in, for easy OS hopping.

It appears to me Kubuntu's navigation scheme is the most like windows I personally have seen yet in a Linux distro.
    Within the last year I have installed: Unity, Tiny-Core, Archbang, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Puppy, Slitaz, Pinguy, Magea, SnowLinux, Zorin and Ubuntu Studio
    My old time stand-by is Ubuntu-Maverick with Gnome 2 which I still have and use on a daily basis along with XP.
    Have win7 also but hardly ever use it.
    Tried to get used to Unity for about 4 months.
    But it was *DOG* slow compared to all of the others, and the built-in-spyware issue gave me bad vibes.
    So.......PUFF!!.... gone :-]
    Slitaz and Archbang appear to be the two mini-distros that are very stable and, as they are mini, they are very fast.
    For a windows oriented user with an old PC, I would highly recommend Slitaz!!
    Oh yeh....puppy was fast....but all those cartoon icons!!....not my cup of tea.

I have a feeling that Pinguy will eventually be the most popular with users coming over from windows.
    And Kubuntu will be in second place behind it.
    IMHO, Kubuntu has become so sophisticated, it blows away Unity, unless your a tablet oriented user.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DVD-R View Post
    Just installed the latest ISO of Kubuntu last week (March 2013) to see what it is like.
    My PC has a modular hard-drive bay.
    Have half a dozen SSHDs I can pop in, for easy OS hopping.

It appears to me Kubuntu's navigation scheme is the most like windows I personally have seen yet in a Linux distro.
    Within the last year I have installed: Unity, Tiny-Core, Archbang, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Puppy, Slitaz, Pinguy, Magea, SnowLinux, Zorin and Ubuntu Studio
    My old time stand-by is Ubuntu-Maverick with Gnome 2 which I still have and use on a daily basis along with XP.
    Have win7 also but hardly ever use it.
    Tried to get used to Unity for about 4 months.
    But it was *DOG* slow compared to all of the others, and the built-in-spyware issue gave me bad vibes.
    So.......PUFF!!.... gone :-]
    Slitaz and Archbang appear to be the two mini-distros that are very stable and, as they are mini, they are very fast.
    For a windows oriented user with an old PC, I would highly recommend Slitaz!!
    Oh yeh....puppy was fast....but all those cartoon icons!!....not my cup of tea.

I have a feeling that Pinguy will eventually be the most popular with users coming over from windows.
    And Kubuntu will be in second place behind it.
    IMHO, Kubuntu has become so sophisticated, it blows away Unity, unless your a tablet oriented user.
    It seems KDE is polarizing, though maybe not as much as Unity. People tend to either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it.

I don't hate Unity, but I definitely prefer KDE. I can see why people would either like Unity or hate it. I don't really understand why people hate KDE, though. Most of the reasons I've seen given are along the lines of 1) too many configuration options (I don't see how this is possible but I guess some people think it gets in the way) or 2) they don't like how it looks (though that's configurable as well).

Anyway, as long as KDE, Unity, and whatever else people like to use continue to be supported, there's no reason we can't all just use what we like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

3) Gnome applications look crummy on kde where as kde apps on gnome look great...so i'd say kde has a problem with gnome apps as far as making them look good...

Personally i prefer gnome and like unity a lot...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    3) Gnome applications look crummy on kde where as kde apps on gnome look great...so i'd say kde has a problem with gnome apps as far as making them look good...
    Other way round: KDE + Qt have expended a lot of effort to make KDE apps fit in properly in GNOME (e.g. QGtkStyle; using GTK file dialogs in GNOME/ XFCE, etc). The other way round - GTK apps looking good in KDE - would require similar efforts from the GTK guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I get you...well, not surprising, despite the fact that i prefer gnome to kde i can't say i don't have my faults with the way some things are handled by the gnome team...

Beans

Well I've had my fair share of recent affairs with different desktop environments. I always try to use everything equally so I can fix any issue in any DE that comes up, which was largely what fueled my tinkering here. I've been using Unity in 13.04, Gnome shell 3.6, and KDE 4.10 pretty extensively. To touch base on something, earlier on there was this talk about KDE having so many features almost as if it's a bad thing. I tried really hard to understand how too much customizability is a bad thing. I personally think it's brilliant that KDE has integrated theme management, so it'll download and install the themes for you right there in the window. I haven't tinkered with changing the theme in Unity since I'm admittedly relatively fond of the default theme, but can you even change the theme in Unity without installing a 3rd party program anymore?

That said, Gnome Shell is an environment I really try to love. Part of the reason I feel resistance is because the gnome community is pretty much a joke. A bigger joke is their mentality with stripping features away like they're trash. But hey, the horse is dead with this subject so that's that. Despite this, when I use Gnome Shell and have it outfitted with the appropriate extensions I prefer, I do feel as though it's very nice to use, so I do have to give them some credit. Someone made a comment earlier that they feel as though Gnome will eventually be so broken down from a simplicity standpoint that it'll require a ton of extensions to use. Personally, I agree, and I think that's Gnome's future. Sort of like a distro with no pre-installed DE, you just get a terminal and load up what you want. That to me screams Gnome down the road. I think that once you need an extension to restore basic functionality that the masses believe should be there already you need to start pumping the brakes... which I hope they start doing soon. Other than that, it's still a solid DE and has its place in the world.

In regard to Unity, I actually really like Unity. I love having my bar on the side. I love the way Unity looks and feels. At least, until I open the dash. The dash is a cluttered mess. I don't want to see recent documents. I don't want to see recent applications. Er wait, maybe I do, but maybe I want to see them in a different tab. How does one do that? As a mouse-centric user, how can I open an application without 2x as many clicks as Gnome 2? So my experience with Unity is very love/hate. I love the way it looks, but hate everything, literally everything, about the way the dash itself operates.

As I was testing Kubuntu 12.10 with the KDE 4.10 PPA, I began to realize how much more sense the KDE environment made to me. The community was so helpful and so quick to respond. Not to mention I actually got answers from bugs I reported as well, sometimes in as little as an hour. Not to mention... 4.10's speed is incredible. Like, no joke, KDE 4.10 is one of the fastest DE's I've used to date. While I didn't test it on an Atom powered netbook (where I'm sure it would likely choke), it did operate perfectly on my hardware, which was C2D/4GB/SSD + i3/8GB/SSD. I was beyond impressed with what I was seeing. Dolphin's Samba browsing was instant, whereas Nautilus would crank out for 12-15 seconds to figure out how to even open the folder. Everything about it just felt perfect, however no matter what I did, I wanted that Unity layout. Period. I have my frustrations with Unity but the Unity layout is one I grew accustomed to. I found it was braindead easy to make KDE look like Unity, especially if you have the backports PPA installed, which includes the Homerun Launcher. Homerun is a launcher that feels just like Unity's, except it's easily customizable. I assume if it's in the backports PPA that maybe it'll be an integrated widget in future KDE releases? Hard to say, but for now that's where it's available.

Move bottom panel to top, remove task manager widget, remove kickoff launcher widget, add spacer (to justify system tray to right side), add empty panel to left side, add homerun launcher, add icon task manager, aaaaaaand....

There's even a widget for the global menu that you could add to the top panel for those who prefer it.

With all of this being said, it's clear that my usage in all of these desktop environments has landed me in the KDE camp... but there's one question I've circumvented during this entire post. Do I believe Canonical should make KDE the default desktop environment? Without a second thought, absolutely not. KDE is a desktop environment for the masses of other Linux distros, something that requires a substantial amount of community input to develop, maintain, and move forward with. Canonical wanted entire control. Canonical has control over Unity. Unity fits their vision. As an outside end user, Unity makes sense for Canonical's vision. Love or hate that mentality, it is what it is. That's why Kubuntu has its place, Ubuntu Gnome has its place, Xubuntu, etc.

Let's not lose sight of one important thing. Desktop environments and types of beer are actually quite similar. Who cares what you're drinking -- we're all here having a good time.
    Last edited by Roasted; March 16th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.

Beans

Yeah I have no problem with KDE. It doesn't suit my own tastes but it's clear a lot of people really like it. There's no reason to make it the default Ubuntu DE, though.

In terms of KDE having lots of features, I agree that's not a problem. However, I find it conceptually very busy. Too many jingles, curved edges, glows, bouncing icons etc. Of course you can turn all these off. But out of the box, I really don't enjoy it. With Faenza icons and Opaquity theme I can live with it.

Gnome I prefer but they really do need to start listening to users. I once jumped on someone here who was saying there was too much schism in Linux DE's. However, I now feel he was right in some ways. Linux users want a customisable Gnome, a customisable KDE and then lighter alternatives. That's it. Too many projects are trying to implement a single-vision model, which has only served to fragment the landscape. There may be a reason why Unity needs to be the way it is but there's no sane reason under the sun that Gnome has to limit user choice. Why can I not now choose whether to tile, zoom or center an image used as wallpaper?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think Ubuntu should also provide a flavor without any desktop environments. Just the dark-beauty Terminal, vim, network manager and some important stuffs. No DE specific apps. So that users can take it, install it and install their desired desktop environment without making unnecessary clutter.

My bad: I just googled and found that canonical provide a minimal CD I am going to try it now.
    Last edited by c2tarun; March 22nd, 2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: mistake correction.

Beans

c2tarun, That's the server edition.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast