Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Beans

Re: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

KDE doesn't have to look like Windows. In fact, on mine I have a top menu bar with global app menu and lower dock, which makes it look more Mac-like than Windows-like. That's what I like about it; I can make it look and behave basically however I want. Here's how mine looks right now:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by montag dp; March 8th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Beans

Indeed, thus its advantage over unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, don't forget you can also have other "sessions" on the main ubuntu...examples: Cinnamon Session, Cairo Dock Session, Gnome 3 fallback Session, and soon Ikey's (of Solus Os) Consort Desktop Session...
    So, that's pretty versatile too...When you log into those sessions...you have no unity dock and instead have those other desktop environments...yet, you are still running main ubuntu...

I use to use Cairo Dock (before i decided to stick with unity) and use to log into Cairo Dock with the Global Menu panel on top (you could also log into Cairo Dock session without global menu but i happen to like that a lot)...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Well, don't forget you can also have other "sessions" on the main ubuntu...examples: Cinnamon Session, Cairo Dock Session, Gnome 3 fallback Session, and soon Ikey's (of Solus Os) Consort Desktop Session...
    So, that's pretty versatile too...When you log into those sessions...you have no unity dock and instead have those other desktop environments...yet, you are still running main ubuntu...

I use to use Cairo Dock (before i decided to stick with unity) and use to log into Cairo Dock with the Global Menu panel on top (you could also log into Cairo Dock session without global menu but i happen to like that a lot)...
    Well congratulations on missing the point here, one should not have to install other DE's if one is a newcomer and does not understand the dynamics of the linux desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As far as kde, unless they are going to use the "stock look" it would also require lots of modifications to make it look/act different too...in fact more so, then simply installing a ppa and logging into a different desktop environment...i think that's a point you are missing that i was trying to make....

But actually, i think most beginners and newbies, after a day or two, would find the stock ubuntu desktop to be fine to work with for their purposes and would not care less about modifying it or changing to a different desktop...i was speaking in terms of experienced linux users who decide they want a different look/desktop experience...

Again Standard Ubuntu with the unity interface IS designed for the masses to be attractive and easy to use...true, it doesn't look like windows, but so what? does an iphone look like windows? they seem to have no problem using the interface on that (just to give one example)....

It's certainly a lot easier to get use to then windows 8, and i don't see people not buying new computers with windows 8 on them and not USING it...
    I see windows users ogling over macs in my local apple store all the time, playing with them and loving them...does that look like windows 7? Not by a long shot...

Newbies to linux who want a windows alternative and don't want to spend a fortune for a mac, don't care about changing appearances, making modifications...they just want something
    that looks good, is easy to use and lets them do the things they want to do (surf the web, instant message, e-mail, listen to music, radio streams, write documents, make photo and video folders, burn dvds, etc etc)...

Ubuntu with unity is PERFECT for that...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 10th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Beans

I have tried KDE4 and Cinnamon, and I prefer Unity to both of them. Its more keyboard accessible and the Dash opens files and applications fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I really like KDE, and the fact that you can almost make it look like and behave anyway you like. However, after configuring it for a while, I then suddenly realize that all I was doing is to make it look like Unity (without some features), so I decide to switch back. Yes, Unity is a locked-down beast and it has many missing features, but it just happens to have what I wanted, so I'll just use it.

(though, if KDE has the opacity toggle on maximized windows feature, then I may use it )

Beans

It actually does, using the desktop effects configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    It actually does, using the desktop effects configuration.
    Neat, can you show me?
    (though, I have a slight feeling we're getting off-topic)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In System Settings open Desktop Effects, Advanced tab, tick the box by 'Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows'.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast