Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Beans

Re: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Ok, that was a bit unfair. But I think it illustrates that any such move would not be universally well received. I think when you like something, you assume everyone else will too. I've tried to like KDE and admittedly it is "ok" on openSUSE but I get tired of it very quickly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Why come out with a ps3 when the 360 was already out? Heck why even come out with consoles at all when pcs and arcade existed? The choice is what makes linux great imo.
    Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.
    Bravo again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ezcomputersolutions View Post
    KDE has been built on Qt & QML for 17 years whereas Canonical is just now starting to use it and are going to port Unity 3D to it.
    Unity 2D used Qt, so it's not like this is the first time Canonical have done anything in it. Just because KDE uses Qt, doesn't mean that anybody who uses Qt should use KDE. There are lots of other projects that use Qt without KDE (Meego, Skype, Photoshop, etc). If Canonical thought KDE could achieve all the stuff they want to do then they wouldn't have spent all that time and money developing Unity.

I recently tried out the KDE netbook thingy on my old Eee PC and it was pretty disappointing TBH. I switched back to Unity after a couple of days.
    Last edited by Paqman; March 5th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    If Canonical thought KDE could achieve all the stuff they want to do then they wouldn't have spent all that time and money developing Unity.
    I do wonder why they didn't choose to build on top of KDE, as I wonder what made the trash Wayland. In Wayland's case it seems that the perceived lacks where not real, perhaps they didn't evaluate KDE's possibilities properly either?

Anyway, who cares, if they come up with something better everybody wins, if not, KDE will still be a great DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    A quick question: Let me see if I get this right... Unity being ported to Qt means that they'll completely abandon Gnome, or have I misunderstood something here?
    Nope..QT works in gnome as well as KDE...it's cross platform, actually...VLC media player is in QT....and that also works on windows and mac too...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 5th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    No, thank you. KDE is way too busy and about as stylish as a burger bar in a shopping mall. It's like those North American versions of recipes, where a whole load of non-essential ingredients are thrown in, half of which are sugar.
    LOL

Couldn't agree more...and not only that, but when you install gnome apps in kde they look pretty bad....however when a kde app is installed in gnome (like k3b for example) it looks very nice...
    KDE is kind of overdone and busy with an over abundance of confusing settings...sorry kde fans, that is what i see every time i have worked with it...
    As far as looks go, ubuntu gnome these days (to me) looks much nicer then kubuntu does...kde is starting to look a bit on the old side...I think Windows 7 (not, "shudder" windows 8...lol) looks better then kubuntu...

Gnome is clean, simple and much more modular...

I'm sure they have NO PLANS in changing over to kde...you have kubuntu for that!
    Again, apologies to any kde fans out there...i know you love it...i just don't share your love...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 5th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I wonder why they're porting to Qt.

And where are everyone's avatars?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I wonder why they're porting to Qt.

And where are everyone's avatars?
    Probably has something to do with the fact that it would work on more devices natively
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    No, thank you. KDE is way too busy and about as stylish as a burger bar in a shopping mall. It's like those North American versions of recipes, where a whole load of non-essential ingredients are thrown in, half of which are sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    LOL

Couldn't agree more...and not only that, but when you install gnome apps in kde they look pretty bad....however when a kde app is installed in gnome (like k3b for example) it looks very nice...
    KDE is kind of overdone and busy with an over abundance of confusing settings...sorry kde fans, that is what i see every time i have worked with it...
    As far as looks go, ubuntu gnome these days (to me) looks much nicer then kubuntu does...kde is starting to look a bit on the old side...I think Windows 7 (not, "shudder" windows 8...lol) looks better then kubuntu...

Gnome is clean, simple and much more modular...

I'm sure they have NO PLANS in changing over to kde...you have kubuntu for that!
    Again, apologies to any kde fans out there...i know you love it...i just don't share your love...
    Meanwhile Gnome is a small dumpy restaurant with only three foods, all of them made out of three ingredients:
    Water, ice and water ice.
    You can have ice water made with water ice, water ice made with ice water and water.

Soon in the next version they wont even use water, they will give you just the components of water (2 parts hydrogen one parts oxygen) and you have to go to another store to make it for you.

Beans
    Distro

You must be a kde fan

Sorry, i prefer clean and simple..don't need a quadrillion number of settings...
    also, these days, i think ubuntu with unity is very attractive looking to the eye...especially with the light theme option rather then the standard dark default for the panel and windows...
    and it has all the settings i need for my purposes...

But that was funny...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 6th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast