Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost data

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry Lost data

Hi All
    "For Every Problem there will be a Solution" (Hoping So)
    I am very new to Linux but know very few commands and regular user of Windows. Since my windows making some troubles in booting from last two months and for my research purpose I require linux to run some software, I decided to install Ubuntu 12.10 (Latest available Version). Yesterday I installed it by replacing Windows where I thought It'll format only C drive like during installation of Windows. Later I understood that was my misunderstanding. Now I was unable to find the drivers like in Windows and unable to see my Data in other drives like D and E. How can I get it back and How can I see drivers like in windows. Please help me in getting my Files back if possible. I am losing my one year Research data. Please help me if you can.

Thank you

- Tulasi
    Last edited by ThulasiS; March 8th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Lost data

Welcome to the forums ThulasiS,

First of all, avoid using that drive to avoid further damage to the data.
    Follow this guide and let us know if you are having any problem in understanding or following it : http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Hi Varun
    What are the requirements to start testdisk?
    I understood how to do from the link you sent. But from where I have to start like Pendrive or I have install in current OS? I didn't understand and I am confusing.
    I am scared if I do something wrong I may not able to recover data. Plz help me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am assuming that "drivers" = Drives. Yes? In Windows hard disk drives and partitions on those drives are labelled C:, D:, E: and so on. But in Linux drives and partitions are labelled sda1, sda2, sda3, and so on. Sata Drive A = sda. The first partition on the first hard drive = sda1. The second partition on the first hard drive = sda2. And so on. Second hard drive = sdb. Third hard drive = sdc. And so on.

Open the File Manager (called Nautilus). It is called the Home Folder in the Launcher (panel on the left of the screen). In File Manager there is a panel on the left and a heading called Devices. Those partitions or drives that you call D and E will be listed there. They may be called Volumes or File Systems.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Ya exactly.It is a Machine..Nice quote

Beans

Okay, I just did the same as this topic writer, and having the same problem.
    grahammechanical : I tried looking at your opinion, but didn't work.
    I did try to boot with my windows DVD to check my HDD. but the result was shocking that I saw most of my hard in 1 partition and only 4 gbs is the other partition "both were full"

Beans
    Hidden!

Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Any help around? this is confusing !!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tiles View Post
    Any help around? this is confusing !!
    Follow the link in my previous post.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Been doing that for a while, I can't launch the program, no clue why !!
    Last edited by Tiles; March 5th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast