Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lost data

Beans

Re: Lost data

Well it happened with me as well, I had to re install Ubuntu again, but use the live disk and check if your HDD files are there.
    NTFS refers to "New Technology File System", hope that did answer you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Haha.. finally we are making some good progress here. Everything you described is normal and in a positive direction.

Let me address your points one-by-one -
    Quote Originally Posted by ThulasiS View Post
    ..and finally it showed P HPFS - NTFS some numbers [Drive name(that was I have given earlier in windows like materials)]
    NTFS is the filesystem used by windows. If testdisk can see it, it can also recover it which I think you have already done now

and showed other two also but nothing with * mark for booting instead it showed D Linux---- something numbers.
    * mark means bootable partition, which can be only one per drive. So that is normal.
    D Linux means "Linux" partition which was Deleted (or crashed/corrupt whatever).
    Numbers indicate location and size of the listed partitions (in terms of CHS = Cylinder, Head, Sector).

Just for your information - If the number of starting Cylinder of a partition is smaller than that of ending Cylinder of the previous one, it means they are overlapping, which further means at least one of them is a wrong entry and needs to be corrected or dropped.

I was interested in using testdisk it was really simple and amazing.
    ..no doubt it is

after rebooting It showed error unknown file system grub recovery> then I struck there.
    ..Again, perfectly normal.
    You had already started installing Ubuntu (or maybe even almost finished it) when you lost your partition. So the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the drive was overwritten by GRUB which is Ubuntu's boot loader. But now there is no Ubuntu there to complete the booting. Hence the grub prompt. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the partitions you recovered. They must be there.

Again am I require install any OS? I think I missed OS selection.
    Yes. You do need an OS to access the partiton(s)/files in it.
    But DON't attempt to install one on that drive yet !
    Just boot with your Ubuntu live CD, make sure the partitions and the files in it are normally accessible.

Then copy ALL the files to an external drive > run GParted > delete all the partitions in the defective drive AFTER saving your files on a different drive > recreate new, healthy partitions > Install the OS of your choice.

If reinstalling Ubuntu, just select the existing partition for installation by choosing "Do something else" option to go to manual selection menu.
    Start a new thread if you need help with that.

P HPFS - NTFS means? Files already there in HDD or to be recover?
    P means Primary partition
    HPFS - NTFS means the filesystem is NTFS (or HPFS, but in your case it is NTFS)
    If you can see the files normally in the live session of the Ubuntu live cd, then they are recovered and now you should copy them to a different drive, as this one may have errors on it.

However, if the files (or the whole partition) is not visible in the file browser, then we still need to recover them. No problem!

So the bottomline is -
    Boot again with the live cd and see if you can access and copy files somewhere else.
    If not, just post back the result of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ..from the live session.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I can boot the live disc again but it is asking only commands. I dnt knw all commands. It is Ubuntu rescue remix 12.04. WHEN I boot with live CD it was showing only one small terminal where I am entering commands. Please help me open a file manager. Mine is Huge data around 200 GB. I dnt have any external hard disk also. How to copy files? Here Net connection is so bad..even i think online services also cannot open for this huge data.
    Okay I'll copy only important files. Please tell me how to copy files from testdisk terminal.

Beans

Hi Varun
    Thank you.
    How to copy files? O don't have external Hard Disk. K but I'll try to get one from some friend otherwise I'll use pendrives.
    That code is for what?
    live CD is showing only one terminal for commands nothing else it was showing. I dont know commands to copy files
    Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not familiar with the rescue remix, but from what I have read about it, it should be no different from the normal cd - meaning you should be able to boot into a gui interface.

Regardless, post back the output of -
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    while the drive in question is connected.

If there is a second drive connected (internally or externally), also post the output of-
    Code:
    df -h
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Hey Tiles
    Files are there in the HDD. I checked twice. It took 4hrs for both times to analyze. Anyway I'll analyze again not a matter for me. Did you copy your files to any external HD before reinstalling Ubuntu? If so tell me also how to copy files.
    Small commands are really interesting.
    Thank you

Beans

Hi Varun
    The output of the codes what you asked are here
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda :500GB, 5000....bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinder of 16065*512 = 8225280bytes
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1  5100 23711 190297957  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 23712 42323 149492857 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 42324 60800 149408470 7 HPFS/NTFS
    Warning: unable to open /dev/sr0 read write (Read only file system)
    Error: /dev/sr) :Unrecognized disk label
    df -h output
    showing the details of my Pendrive like used data, free data etc..

So now what I have to do?
    I kept for analysis deeper search using testdisk

Thank you.
    Last edited by varunendra; March 8th, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans

Hi Black veils
    I can boot the live disc again but it is asking only commands. I dnt knw all commands. It is Ubuntu rescue remix 12.04. WHEN I boot with live CD it was showing only one small terminal where I am entering commands. Please help me open a file manager. Mine is Huge data around 200 GB. I dnt have any external hard disk also. How to copy files? Here Net connection is so bad..even i think online services also cannot open for this huge data.
    Okay I'll copy only important files. Please tell me how to copy files from testdisk terminal.

Thank you

Beans

Hi All

Using testdisk to recover data is good experience.
    Still some doubts.
    P means primary partition
    L for Logic
    what is the difference between two?
    Please tell me

Beans

L = Logic Partition, that's used to store data on, and isn't used to boot from to any OS.
    P = Primary Partition, that's a partition used to boot from to OS you have.

As I understood, your all data were wiped out after installing Ubuntu, so I think the partition which had Windows is formatted. To get your other partitions back you need to make them "L" since they're used to store data on em not to boot from.

I actually didn't transfer any of my data outside of the HDD, all I did was being caution at formatting the old "C" partition which was used to have windows and setup Ubuntu on it. Hope that helped.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast