Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost data

Beans

Re: Lost data

Hi varun
    I am using Ubuntu 12.10. I can download it but I don't know how to install it after downloading. Tell me please if you know that alternative way.
    I'll try again by Updating

Beans

Installing from repositories is the best and recommended way.

If downloading about 350MB and burning a cd is not a problem for you, then using System Rescue CD is the next best option as it already has testdisk installed. I have provided its link in my previous post.

Downloading the source from the home page and installing from it may get stuck in some dependency issues. So I'd recommend it as the last option. I will have to download and install it myself to tell you how to do it
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I think it is better to download the 350 Mb. Because the same msg again I got. Some index files failed to download. Why it is happening to me again and again? Net connection is also goo in our lab. I already downloaded Ubuntu rescue CD. Can I use it? Okay I'll download systemRescueCd.
    I understood one thing Ubuntu is for professionals but not for me. I thought Ubuntu became user friendly by now but not true. Why So many people prefer Windows Now I understood.
    Thanks for your help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ThulasiS View Post
    I think it is better to download the 350 Mb. Because the same msg again I got. Some index files failed to download. Why it is happening to me again and again? Net connection is also goo in our lab. I already downloaded Ubuntu rescue CD. Can I use it? Okay I'll download systemRescueCd.
    I understood one thing Ubuntu is for professionals but not for me. I thought Ubuntu became user friendly by now but not true. Why So many people prefer Windows Now I understood.
    Thanks for your help
    Partitioning is always a risky operation and needs extreme caution. The risks are same regardless of which OS you are using. Contrary to the impression you got, I find the linux tools for this job more friendly, mature, capable and easy to use than most of the other commercial software out there.

Also, the term "user-friendly" is very misleading. We tend to define 'familiar' as 'friendly'. I began with Windows, kept using it for about 7 years. I switched to Ubuntu less than an year ago and now find it much more friendly and comfortable than Windows. I can say without hesitation that I never felt half as comfortable with windows as I am now with Ubuntu. It's all about knowing your way around

Probably a good read for you when you are relaxed and have some time : http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

/me gets down the soapbox.
    Varun

Beans

Well, after using windows for long time, Linux isn't bad actually, it's just more advanced than windows, that's all. Plus people here give you help faster than I expected, which is far better

Beans

Hi Varun
    I used Live CD ubuntu rescue remix 12.04. It was showing all the files and partitions. I am following the steps which were given for testdisk. working good but after showing data I was unable to back up them. How can I do? It was showing no back up selected like something it was showing. What to do? How to save that data? It was showing all files after pressing p. Frm then I was unable to proceed. Help me in this regard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Can you post an screenshot where it showed all the partitions after deep search ? Listing of partitions means testdisk found them and can recover them.

As mentioned on the guide page, you can highlight a partition and press p to see the folders/subfolders/files in it to verify if it is the correct partition. Once you are satisfied, you may return on the partition listing screen by pressing q, then use Left/Right arrow keys to change the partition type from D (deleted) to P (primary) or L (logical) as applicable. Then press 'Enter' in the last to save the changes.

But if you are confused with that screen, it would help a lot if you could post a screenshot, or at least copy-paste the whole content of the screen here.

If you copy-paste, make sure to use 'Code' tags to post it (see the example link in my signature to see how to use code tags).
    This is the answer as I suppose

Beans

That's a good news. But you still need to be careful until you get all the desired files copied to a different drive. And what do you mean by this -
    I used Live CD ubuntu rescue remix 12.04. It was showing all the files and partitions.
    Were the files visible in normal file browser of Ubuntu or in the testdisk window??

If they were visible in the normal browser, then it means they are already there in good shape and you don't need any recovery (it also means that this whole thread is a result of a misunderstanding, that grahammechanical pointed out in post #3). Just copy them to an external drive to be extra safe, and ignore what I am going to suggest next, it won't be needed.

But if you mean the files were visible in the testdisk window, then -

..follow the steps in post #13 to restore the partition structure. Once the partition(s) is/are back, you should get all your files back as they were before. The detailed steps are on the same page under "Deeper Search" heading : http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestD..._Deeper_Search

However, if restoring partition(s) doesn't restore files back, then we will need to manually recover files using the same testdisk program. But first try restoring partitions and let me know if the problem is solved.

PS:
    In order to change the partition type from 'D' to 'P' or 'L', you need to correctly identify its type. If you don't remember or can't identify by their looks, this page will help you identifying the correct partition type : http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Parti...ry_and_logical

PPS:
    Beaten by Tiles while I was creating my post

Thanks Tiles! Yes, that was post #13 I was referring to.
    Last edited by varunendra; March 7th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Varun

Beans

I saw those files when I used Testdisk only. I went thoroughly step by step and finally it showed P HPFS - NTFS some numbers [Drive name(that was I have given earlier in windows like materials)] and showed other two also but nothing with * mark for booting instead it showed D Linux---- something numbers. I was interested in using testdisk it was really simple and amazing. but what I did is I selected the require drives by tapping right/left n I didn't select Linux. And I entered write but after rebooting It showed error unknown file system grub recovery> then I struck there. What to do? What the mistake I did? But I am sure that I can recover data without anyone (except with your help) help.Help me friend. Again am I require install any OS? I think I missed OS selection.
    P HPFS - NTFS means? Files already there in HDD or to be recover?
    This I don't know.
    I am some what happy, I am Playing with system without any Harm (I thought so)
    So help me at this point.

Beans

boot the ubuntu live disc again and open a file manager. you will see the Windows partition/drive in the left pane, click on it to mount, see if you can find your files and copy them to another usb stick or online service etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast