Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lost data

It is a commandline program that needs to be run from terminal. Also, it is not already installed by default, so you need to install it first. It is very small and can be easily installed and run from the live session (running off a live cd/dvd/usb)

While in Ubuntu, make sure you are connected to internet. Then open a terminal (ctrl + alt + T) and run the following commands -
    (Please note that sudo will not ask for password if you are running a live session. In installed one, it will ask for password. You won't see anything on the screen while typing the password. Just type the one you use for login and press Enter)

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    Let the installation finish. Then run -
    Code:
    sudo testdisk
    Then proceed from the step with "Log Creation" screenshot on the page I linked to.

It is not very uncommon for new users to get confused with that tutorial. So feel free to ask here wherever you are having problem with it.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I did all that, after the deep search it showed me all the partitions, but when I pressed "Enter" it said no data to recover and I went back to main menu, does that mean it's unrecoverable or I just need to do deep search again ?

Beans
    Distro

Can you post an screenshot where it showed all the partitions after deep search ? Listing of partitions means testdisk found them and can recover them.

As mentioned on the guide page, you can highlight a partition and press p to see the folders/subfolders/files in it to verify if it is the correct partition. Once you are satisfied, you may return on the partition listing screen by pressing q, then use Left/Right arrow keys to change the partition type from D (deleted) to P (primary) or L (logical) as applicable. Then press 'Enter' in the last to save the changes.

But if you are confused with that screen, it would help a lot if you could post a screenshot, or at least copy-paste the whole content of the screen here.

If you copy-paste, make sure to use 'Code' tags to post it (see the example link in my signature to see how to use code tags).
    Varun

Beans

Red face Re: Lost data

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Can you post an screenshot where it showed all the partitions after deep search ? Listing of partitions means testdisk found them and can recover them.

As mentioned on the guide page, you can highlight a partition and press p to see the folders/subfolders/files in it to verify if it is the correct partition. Once you are satisfied, you may return on the partition listing screen by pressing q, then use Left/Right arrow keys to change the partition type from D (deleted) to P (primary) or L (logical) as applicable. Then press 'Enter' in the last to save the changes.

But if you are confused with that screen, it would help a lot if you could post a screenshot, or at least copy-paste the whole content of the screen here.

If you copy-paste, make sure to use 'Code' tags to post it (see the example link in my signature to see how to use code tags).
    Allright, thanks for the help Varun, I got my data back, I don't think I lost anything too, just minor stuff, no big deal.
    It turned that you need to be caution when you install Ubuntu, don't know if it's a bug in the install or something, but it's solved, thanks

Beans
    Distro

Great job! And you're always welcome

By the way, partitioning is something that always needs extreme caution, regardless of the tool or OS in use.

Let's hope the OP is also as lucky as you .
    Varun

Beans

Hi Varun
    What are the requirements to start testdisk?
    I understood how to do from the link you sent. But from where I have to start like Pendrive or I have install in current OS? I didn't understand and I am confusing.
    I am scared if I do something wrong I may not able to recover data. Plz help me

Beans
    Distro

It is installed like a normal application on the running OS (it also has a Windows version). See post #11

Recommended way is to install it on a live session running off a live cd or usb. Then run it from there as mentioned in post #11 above.

If you are recovering partitions, you will be working only on the drive which lost the partitions. But if you are recovering individual files from it (without recovering partitions), then it is strongly recommended to use a different drive as the destination for the recovered files to avoid chances of overwriting (thus permanently losing files)..

In your case, all you need is recovering partitions. So I recommend you create an Ubuntu live (persistent) usb > Boot from it > Install testdisk on it > run it and follow the Step-by-Step guide to recover your partitions.

Post back if you get stuck at some stage.
    Varun

Beans

Hi
    It was giving a message unable to locate package testdisk.
    What to do?

Beans

Hi all
    It was giving a message unable to locate package testdisk. After Upadte and giving the second command sudo install testdisk
    What to do? i am scared

Beans
    Distro

Which version of Ubuntu are you using ? It is available in repositories of 12.04.

In Software Center > Edit > Software Sources, make sure the "universe" repository is enabled (has a tick mark in the checkbox).

Also make sure you are connected to internet while running the update and install commands.

Alternatively, you may download it from its homepage here : http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Choose the Linux version suitable to your version of Ubuntu (i386 means 32 bit, x86_64 is for 64 bit kernel). But installing from repositories is much easier.

If unsure, please post back output of :
    Code:
    uname -mr
    in a terminal.

EDIT:
    Like I mentioned in my PM reply, here is a link to System Rescue CD which includes TestDisk among many other useful tools -

Homepage and description, guides etc. : http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
    Download page : http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/
    Last edited by varunendra; March 6th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Varun

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast