Thread: How to use the forum.

Beans

How to use the forum.

is there any help for a newbie first time user to get help..... Requirements to simply address question awesome.... Looking for help to boot Ubuntu that has no login name: system crashed. Now to boot: monitor says: Ubuntu 10.4.04 LTS jerry-desktop tty1,,,, second line: jerry-desktop login:
    I tried "root" and "sudo" then it asks for password, but will not accept any key strokes.

Is it possible to find out how to address a question on this Forum, please?

jerry in Chiang Mai

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: How to use the forum.

@jhunternissen, I have moved your post to its own thread from where you had posted in a random thread. I will get back to you shortly. In the meantime, if you have a technical question go to the Beginners Section and click on the orange "Post New Thread" button near the top-left of the page.

EDIT: more information on using the forum here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006656

Please note that the linked pages and howtos refer to the pre-upgrade version of the forum. They will all be updated over the next few weeks. With the recent upgrade to the forum software, much of the details have changed but the principles of how to use the forum features remain the same. In short - if you wish to ask a support question, simply go to the appropriate subforum and start a new thread.
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 5th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to use the forum.

At the login you type in the name you used to install system. Maybe just jerry? then you gave a password twice during install and should just type that in. It will not show keystrokes.

If you are getting that at a terminal not gui then you must also have video issues?
    Can you boot the second line in grub menu and see it that lets you repair system?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.