Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install ubuntu next to windows 8

Beans

Can't install ubuntu next to windows 8

Hello guys.

I've been busy with this thing for quite a while now and still I can't get it to work. Here's the deal:

My computer is an ASUS A55DR. I bought it several months ago with Windows 7 preinstalled. I almost immediately installed Windows 8 on it (due to curiousity i guess) with the option to wipe everything on it and make a clean install.

I am trying to install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 12.10 on my system next to Windows 8.
    My laptop has a quad-core AMD A8-4500M processor and a HD RADEON 7640G + 6400M Dual Graphics video card.

When I boot up with the USB, I get a "GNU GRUB version 2.00-7ubuntu11" menu. It doesn't matter which of the options (try, install, OEM install, check disc) I choose. They all end in a black screen until I reset my computer.

I have already tried adding "nomodeset" to the options, but still nothing happens.
    I have been searching for this "secure-boot" thing in my bios, but there really isn't anything related to it to find in there.

Please, can anyone help me further? If you need screenshots or whatever I will supply you. I just want to get this thing to work! (:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't install ubuntu next to windows 8

how did you create the USB? did you check andmake sure that image was good (MD5sum check)?
    otherwise you could be using UEFI: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    how did you create the USB? did you check andmake sure that image was good (MD5sum check)?
    otherwise you could be using UEFI: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    I created the USB using the Universal USB installer. Haven't checked it. How do I do that? Using the UEFI guide I get stuck at the third step. Can't find secureboot nor quickboot/fastboot in my BIOS' settings, so I guess I don't have that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If system was originally Windows 7 that was before secure boot. Only a few Windows 7 systems were installed with UEFI, most were the old BIOS even if BIOS was a combined UEFI/BIOS.

How you boot install media is how it installs. But if Windows is in BIOS with MBR(msdos) partitioning you need to install Ubuntu in MBR mode. But if Windows is UEFI with gpt partitioning, you need to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode.

Post this:
    sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print

If it says gpt and first partition is efi then it is a UEFI install. If msdos and you just have 100MB (hidden in Windows) boot partition and main NTFS partition, then you have standard BIOS install.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi. Thanks for answering. Where do I have to post that command? Have tried it in the GRUB command line, but it says it can't find command 'sudo'...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

From liveCD/DVD/Flash open a terminal and copy & paste into terminal. Then copy & paste back to a new reply.
    In Ubuntu you start a terminal window with ctrl + alt + t
    or via the menu Program -- Accessories -- Terminal
    Unity just click on Ubuntu logo or first icon and type terminal in dash, then you get terminal icon to click on.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi.

I think I can't acces the terminal you are referring to. I can only acces the GRUB command-line via the USB and the command prompt in windows. There is no ubuntu on my computer yet, so accesing the terminal that way is not possible atm.

Beans

If you couldn't boot the USB then how did you set "nomodeset"? You should be able to get to the Ubuntu terminal from that same menu.

Beans

Sorry if I'm a bit unclear. I can boot onto the USB and enter the GRUB menu. However when I acces the GRUB command-line and I enter the "sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print" command, I get "error: can't find command 'sudo'. "

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No the terminal is not the grub command line. That only has limited grub only commands for booting.

So from live installer do you only get grub menu? Then you may need to add nomodeset.

At grub menu press e, then on the linux line replace quiet splash with nomodeset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast