Hi,

I am experiencing some serious issues with the gui following my upgrade to raring.

Immediately following the upgrade I had no gui whatsoever and fixed this by removing xorg.conf file as suggested in a thread on this forum. This resulted in a gui appearing but in low resolution like low graphics mode. Also, I had no taskbar/menus etc. only the icons of the files saved on the dektop.

To try to fix this I followed more suggestions from this forum and purged all traces of flgrx from the system. When I rebooted this resulted in the resolution returning to normal. however, I still did not have any menus or taskbar etc. I then downloaded the most recent ATI graphics card legacy drivers (13.1) from the ATI site and installed those. After rebooting the system came back to life with the poor resolution once more.

As you can see, I have been following the advice given on a number of threads but to no avail. I am nearing my wits end with this problem and I am considering a fresh install. Since this is not the first time I have had issues with upgrades and installations with Ubuntu (been using it for about three years) I am considering trying another distribution for this fresh install. It might not be any better but I doubt it can be worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can restore my beloved Ubuntu setup to its former glory?