Thread: Ubuntu One slow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu One slow

Ubuntu One works fine if you sync a 1kb textfile. But for serious use, syncing takes longer than an 8 hour workday which is unacceptable, while Dropbox does the same in an hour.
    Ubuntu One uploaded one megabyte in the last hour!

I've read about similar reports from 2 years ago and Ubuntu One's statement that this is a 10.04 problem, but I am running a fully updated Ubuntu 12.10 (Mint 14).

I have previously stopped using OwnCloud for the exact same reason, but I thought it was because of my server.
    Does Ubuntu One use the same code as OwnCloud?

To put this more emotionally: Ubuntu One is unimaginable slow and utterly worthless.
    I am not using a proxy or firewall that I know of, and Dropbox works lightningfast on the same system.

Any positive experiences or solutions to this speed problem? Certain tricks I don't know about?

I have changed this bug from invalid to confirmed. If you experience the same problems, please let them know it affects you too.

Code:
    $ u1sdtool -s
    State: QUEUE_MANAGER
        connection: With User With Network
        description: processing the commands pool
        is_connected: True
        is_error: False
        is_online: True
        queues: WORKING
    Someone said they contacted Ubuntu One support, who in turn advised to do this:
    Code:
    u1sdtool -q
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/ubuntuone
    u1sdtool -c
    ..but it doesn't seem to change anything. It only disconnects all my cloud folders, which is very annoying.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redsandro; March 5th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Windows 7 for Media Production, Ubuntu 12.04/Cinnamon for other work.
    Xubuntu 12.04 as Media Center, CentOS 5.6 as server.
    Linux Mint on my casual laptop, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One takes forever

Same exact problem here. I tried Ubuntu One for the first time last night thinking I might replace with my Dropbox account with it, and then it just sat there syncing a small number of documents I had tried as a test for it. Very disappointing, since I practically had my credit card out for a premium account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu One slow

Thats ruff guys, have you considered backing up to a hard drive, reinstall then try to back up? I know mine runs faster in a sense of about 14.8 GB in about 8 hours.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Update - next day at the office, computer online overnight. Ubuntu One was stuck on the last few megabytes and would not advance. So I rebooted, and it synced the last few megabytes.
    I was also syncing stuff at home in the evening, and I noticed some other interesting things:

• Whereas Dropbox will sync near-instantly, adding a lot of files on U1 might take up to an hour before it actually starts uploading a file, because it does processing very differently from Dropbox.
    • When uploading finally starts, you get the same notification "FileName001.jpg and 199 other files are uploading" every 5 minutes, making it look like nothing is happening. But U1 has the queue backwards and doesn't count beyond 199, so it is actually doing stuff as you can see when you use ubuntuone-control-panel-qt --show-icon --minified's transfer menu item.
    • Sometimes, actually rather often in my experience, U1 just gets stuck on a transfer and needs to restart your machine
    • Hence, U1 is safe to use on a machine that turns off and on on a daily basis, but I wouldn't recommend it for an always-on machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    Thats ruff guys, have you considered backing up to a hard drive, reinstall then try to back up?
    Nah, if you think about it, it is effectively the same as:
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    Ubuntu One works fine if you sync a 1kb textfile. But for serious use, syncing takes longer than an 8 hour workday which is unacceptable, while Dropbox does the same in an hour.
    (...)
    Code:
    u1sdtool -q
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/ubuntuone
    u1sdtool -c
    Last edited by Redsandro; March 6th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Windows 7 for Media Production, Ubuntu 12.04/Cinnamon for other work.
    Xubuntu 12.04 as Media Center, CentOS 5.6 as server.
    Linux Mint on my casual laptop, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It took me 7 hours to backup 1GB last night. Unfortunately I had just paid for the year for 40GB. I wanted the ease of something made to work with Linux. Riiiiiiggghht. I guess I'll be switching to ... something... in a year. In the meantime, I'll be buying an external HDD.

I think it is pretty poor customer service that this has been an ongoing problem for several years, yet U1 took my money for a service that is essentially unusable as advertised. What a shame.