Thread: Program can't find libstdc++.so.6

Beans

Program can't find libstdc++.so.6

I'm running a fresh install of Precise on a 64 bit HP G62 laptop. I'm trying to run a program called ChatScript (http://sourceforge.net/projects/chatscript/) which ran fine on this machine on Precise before I wiped everything and did the fresh install. Now I'm getting:

Code:
    ./LinuxChatScript32 local./LinuxChatScript32: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    but the file is there:
    Code:
    locate libstdc++.so.6
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.16
    Is this a path issue? I've run into those before, but never with this file. Not quite sure how to proceed and could use some guidance.

regards, Richard

Beans

Re: Program can't find libstdc++.so.6

The name LinuxChatScript32 would suggest it's a 32-bit binary - so it won't work with your 64-bit /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 shared lib

If that's the case, you *may* be able to get it to work with ia32-libs if you can't find a 64-bit native version of the program

Beans

Damn! I knew I was forgetting something obvious. Thanks Steeldriver, that did the trick.

regards, Richard

Beans

I'd mark this as solved, but that functionality does not seem to have survived the upgrade.