Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GUI not working after upgrading to 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: GUI not working after upgrading to 12.10

You said you have a Radeon video card, and from what I could find, that uses an Xpress chipset.

That's a very old chipset for which AMD restricted drivers haven't worked in a long time -- so if you were using the default Radeon open-source drivers in 12.04, you should not have suddenly encountered a video driver problem upgrading to 12.10.

So, while it's possible, I suspect that the problem is not the Radeon video drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You said you have a Radeon video card, and from what I could find, that uses an Xpress chipset.

That's a very old chipset for which AMD restricted drivers haven't worked in a long time -- so if you were using the default Radeon open-source drivers in 12.04, you should not have suddenly encountered a video driver problem upgrading to 12.10.

So, while it's possible, I suspect that the problem is not the Radeon video drivers.
    Isn't it when there is a problem with the video driver for a particular card, the system choose some falback mode, as in my case for the Riva-tnt it chooses the vesa driver. But in any case he should be able to get in the console mode. Right ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, I managed to get it to read the cd with 11.10 and reinstall it - I even managed to upgrade to 12.04 again. I don't have any problems now. But I'm rather curious what would happen if I upgrade to 12.10 again? Any suggestions? If you need any kind of info I'll happily post it, so we can work this out, if anyone has any ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm trying to install a different DE, just wondering whether it would speed things up a bit, because something seems to be wrong - everything is very slow? Is Unity too hard on a 256MB graphic card, or what?
    Last edited by Roquentina; March 6th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

If your still on 12o4 you can try Unity2D and see if its faster or you can install the gnome-classic desktop and try it. You can choose at boot (login).

gnome classic desktop
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12