Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Nightmare Of Jack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: The Nightmare Of Jack

JACK is a bit temperamental there's no denying this, but if you use qjackctl; which comes with Ubu Studio, then most of your problems go away... Sure you might have to connect a system plug to an effects rack then plug the effects rack into Ardour what not... with QJackCtl all of this is sooooo much easier, if your App is JACK aware, it becomes listed as soon as you start it... End of story...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jnbek View Post
    JACK is a bit temperamental there's no denying this, but if you use qjackctl; which comes with Ubu Studio, then most of your problems go away... Sure you might have to connect a system plug to an effects rack then plug the effects rack into Ardour what not... with QJackCtl all of this is sooooo much easier, if your App is JACK aware, it becomes listed as soon as you start it... End of story...
    True enough as long as Jack is working properly - I still get issues with some progs not appearing in Jack everytime I start them. A couple of attempts normally gets it working properly though. And as for connecting system plugs to effects - well .... to me thats just reminiscent of a pro studio 10 years ago - when people still had rack mount compressors, reverbs etc and you used a thing called a patch bay with little patch leads that connected everything.

For my part - I dont see Jack as being that hard to use. It can be a pig to get running when you first start (although when I first used it I just started Qjackctl and it worked fine from the off) but I have made peace with that on the basis that it is trying to work with the widest possible selection of hardware etc etc. Using it once you get it running is pretty easy once you get the principles of how it works (basically, at the user level, - its a virtual patchbay that connects everything). It gives you a lot of control over what you want to do. Anything with an output can be connected to anything with an input if you know how (and have a2jmidid).

As for the comments above about having only 1 sound server - well, sadly the audio options have become a bit of a joke in the linux world. Whether its OSS, ESD, Pulseaudio yada yada yada. That is pretty annoying. But then Jack sits in a different league and for different purposes than the other options. I dont think you could do low latency recording with ESD or Pulse. The pulseaudio/jack conflict narks me greatly but I just remove pulseaudio and go straight into alsa/jack usage when I install my Studio OS, so it doesnt really affect me.

I've said it many times before, but Im gonna sya it again: I still like the music I listened to 10 years ago - it doesnt sound poorly recorded or badly prodcued. SO if linux can offer me a free option that is 10 years behind the curve of the commercial products then I can still make music that doesnt sound bad. A good engineer does not need the latest software to create a good sound (which is all the more annoying when I hear how poor my own creations are), and having the latest software wont make a bad engineer sound good.

In the end Jack is a good sound server for music production and should be supported as the standard for it on linux. If you find a problem, file a bug report, contact the devs or whatever will help make it better. Frustrating though it may be at times, its the best option we have.

TO THE OP: If you can give some more details on your hardware and software configuration, along with the steps you are taking then someone may be able to help you get Jack working how you want.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but maybe I can help I struggled with jack a lot before I understood how it works, but now I love it. It is very important to understand that pulseaudio and jack don't play nice. You have to disable pulse in order to use jack. To do this use the "puseaudio --kill" command, and then start jack using qjackctl. Once this is done, new applications that start may disconnect old ones, so keep an eye on this and make sure they stay connected to your speakers. As far as the apps themselves go, make sure Audacity is in jack mode when you want to use jack. Also, you can't really run pulseaudio apps at the same time, so don't try. I'm not sure if this helps at all but I can give a more detailed explanation if you need it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sylos View Post
    I've said it many times before, but Im gonna sya it again: I still like the music I listened to 10 years ago - it doesnt sound poorly recorded or badly prodcued. SO if linux can offer me a free option that is 10 years behind the curve of the commercial products then I can still make music that doesnt sound bad. A good engineer does not need the latest software to create a good sound (which is all the more annoying when I hear how poor my own creations are), and having the latest software wont make a bad engineer sound good.
    Well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12