Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nightmare Of Jack

Beans

The Nightmare Of Jack

Please help me to use Studio. I just bought a nice new machine with the hopes of recording music and now all I will have time for is wrestling with JACK.
    How can a piece of software be so temperamental and still be included in an OS that is supposed to be user-friendly?!?
    I get Audacity working and then I get Guitarix working and then Audacity is broken; or I get Rakarrack working and then use Ardor and then Rakarrack won't work anymore...
    It's just one headache after another.

Can anyone please let me know if there's a way past this horrible minefield of waiting for the right phase of the moon and standing on one foot and holding my mouth just so in hopes that at least ONE app will deliver SOME audio???
    I'm at my wit' end (or half-way)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: The Nightmare Of Jack

How can a piece of software be so temperamental and still be included in an OS that is supposed to be user-friendly?!?
    There is no such thing as "user friendly". You need to learn to use the software. "User firendly" is a marketing term. "User frendlines" is highly and completly individual.

I really don't know how to help with JACK issues. You need to be patient, read and search a lot. I took me couple of years to have almost rock steady audio producion workflow.

Audacity is tricky to use with JACK.

I don't know what is your level of audio/software knowledge, maybe you need to start from the begining
    http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-w...udio-explained

Sorry for not being of much help, just hang in there.
    If you can give more detailed description of your problems, maybe I can help more. It is not clear are applications crashing or what. Also you didn't give us your JACK settings, or any real input for solving the problem.
    Also, what is your PC specification: CPU RAM.
    Last edited by jejeman; March 5th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

+1 for jejeman's post - i agree that it's confusing and frustrating and noone really likes to read manuals, right? I had the same issues with Jack and still haven't solved them all, but for me it's a matter of trying - reading - trying. also, if it's any comfort, audio configuration on Windows with external soundcard and Logic is no walk in the park either
    hang in there!

Beans

I think he have reason the sistem to make music in linux is unusable in a production set.
    no way to make music comfortable.
    the system is powerfull but is not practic
    and the expression is correct. is not user-friendly

Beans

I'm sorry but I don't think using Jack is that hard.Once you understand what it actually is.When I 1st got a pc I was trying to use cakewalk pro audio 9.I didn't even realize I could plug a guitar in & record it.I was writing notes on a midi staff with the mouse to make music.It took quite a long time to realize the full depth of the program.If you're coming from a different OS then Linux is really like learning to use a computer all over again.It's no more user unfriendly than any system.If you've been working with something for 10 years of course it's going to seem more user friendly.
    Craig

Beans

I'm sorry but I don't think using Jack is that hard
    Yes it is.
    To make music i dont care wich sound server is working, i just want it running, why we have two sound servers?? one less powerfull?? choose the better one and remove the other, and then build the rest of the sound arround.

Once you understand what it actually is
    Yes, because I understand

When I 1st got a pc I was trying to use cakewalk pro audio 9.I didn't even realize I could plug a guitar in & record it.I was writing notes on a midi staff with the mouse to make music.It took quite a long time to realize the full depth of the program.If you're coming from a different OS then Linux is really like learning to use a computer all over again.It's no more user unfriendly than any system.If you've been working with something for 10 years of course it's going to seem more user friendly.
    Craig
    Sorry but no.
    I am trying it with linux for a long time and i know how it works, but thats not practice to make music with. i' m telling you
    i want all my plugins working inside my host (what must be sincroniced with my gear by midi of course). Its a point have them outside of the host easy but must be in the other way and easy!!
    that will be easy

Beans

I'd be willing to concede that music production in Linux is not really feasible in a professional environment at this time.I think most people here though are hobbyists.We are doing important work towards breaking the stranglehold that corporate monoliths have over our computers.We've convinced ourselves that we have to have the best software even though something that comes at little or no cost would accomplish what we need.So therefore we pirate Photoshop,Pro Tools etc. My father-in-law is going to be teaching Adobe CS6 Suite & Pro Tools among other stuff in a high school course.He admits that those kids will just pirate the software.So if the get a job in a related industry they will have a leg up but if there's no education in open source alternatives then the industries will be forever beholden to the Adobes & Apples of the software world.As for the kids who just use the software for personal use ,they will have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars or hope that they will be able to continue pirating photoshop or pro tools because it's the only thing that they know & it's "too hard" to learn something new.
    I can understand if you are doing music production in tv or movies or a pro studio you need a very steamlined workflow . What I gather from your post is that you want to use a soft synth or effect that you can't use as an inline plugin so you have to start the syntn & open the jack connections window & make the cable connections.So you're saying that it's easy to right click in the patch point in the mixer strip,browse for a plugin,select it & the double click on it to open the interface but it's too hard to click a synth to start it, open the jack connections window & make a few clicks in there to connect the cables.So it seems to me that you're saying that moving your index finger 1 millimetre 4 times is easy but doing it 6 times is too hard.
    Craig

Beans

nope what i am saying is if i want use a sinth inside a project and there is a button to add a synth it should work, not turn around all the system (what you must know how) to use it.
    I think is clear
    and i think that programs are to make music not to make history, maybe if they can make music they can make history
    Splash

Beans

I think there's a bit of a lack of communication here because of a language barrier. I'm sorry if I come across as disrespecting you.I tend to get riled up about the lack of freedom in software.Everyone has their own reasons for the way they do things. So keep on making the music.
    Craig

Beans

a bit of order and simply then get all the free what you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast