Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to ethernet with wired connection

Beans

Re: Cannot connect to ethernet with wired connection

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Is Network Manager asking for your password? Have you proofread it carefully? For instance, mypassword is not the same as MyPassword.
    I do not understand, mypassword is not the same as MyPassword? I read the pop up and it just asks to put in my wireless network password, which I did. It is the same as my other two laptops and desktop wireless. I must be missing something,or I do not understand what you are asking?

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I meant that your password is case sensitive. Sometimes we (at least I) forget that a character buried in the middle of our super-secure long password is capitalized and we type it lower-case. I am very glad you didn't make the same error!

The driver in question, rtl8192cu, is troublesome. There are more than a few posts on this forum complaining about the same thing. The usual fix is to install the updated driver package linux-backports-modules-cw. However, it has many prerequisites and to download them and install them, along with their dependencies is hardly an easy job. We just as well could do the same for your ethernet device; download them and install them, along with their dependencies.

I wonder if you could connect if you just momentarily turn off WEP encryption in the router. If you are comfortable doing so, just for a few minutes, we could grab everything we need for the ethernet quickly and be done with wireless.

I wish i had a better solution.

If you can connect, I will write instructions you can copy and paste and be done in just a few minutes.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

If I disconnect my router from the modem and plugged my cat6 line from the computer into the modem I would not need to worry about encryption. I don't think this will mess up my router settings?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERFITTER View Post
    If I disconnect my router from the modem and plugged my cat6 line from the computer into the modem I would not need to worry about encryption. I don't think this will mess up my router settings?
    I thought the whole point of this thread was in post #1:
    I"m running Ubuntu 12.04 and I cannot connect to the internet with a wired connection.I ran the following to see what the problam might be and ran out of ideas.

dennis@dennis:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for dennis:
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    I doubt we can use the ethernet to download and install a missing driver for the ethernet.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Sorry, I misunderstood. You want to use the wireless without encryption to get on the internet and download everthing we need for the ethernet. I have a unsecured wireless connection in the area that I could connect with for a short time. Will that work?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERFITTER View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. You want to use the wireless without encryption to get on the internet and download everthing we need for the ethernet. I have a unsecured wireless connection in the area that I could connect with for a short time. Will that work?.
    Yes, indeed, if you can.

Please get a connection, open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.5/compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    tar -xf compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc
    ./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    If all goes well, and I'm pretty confident it will, your ethernet should be working at the end.

When you do updates, undoubtedly a newer kernel version will be installed. Reboot to it and re-compile:
    Code:
    cd compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc
    make clean
    ./scripts/driver-select restore
    ./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    Post back if it doesn't go smoothly.

Beans

I could not connect to this unsecured wireless connection with this computer. I had the wireless usb next to the window and my Linksys range expander next to the window. I turned on my wireless desktop that has right next to the Ubuntu computer and connected with the unsecured wireless connection with two out of five bars no problem. I got the same results as when I tried to connect to my wireless network.

I went to Linux Mint and they have the same problem with alx ethernet connection. I look up Ubuntu 13.04 and they are addressing the alx ethernet connection when that comes out in April? Some people are using the Ubuntu 13 daily and not having that many problems. The Beta version is going to be released thursday March 28th, maybe I should try that edition?

Thank You
    Last edited by SUPERFITTER; March 26th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some people are using the Ubuntu 13 daily and not having that many problems. The Beta version is going to be released thursday March 28th, maybe I should try that edition?
    I feel terrible for you, superfitter, because this has been a protracted problem that, all these posts later, is still not fixed.

The driver alx is built-in, by default, in kernel above 3.5.0-24. That includes, of course, 13.04. I suggest you download it, run the live CD to confirm it works as expected and, if so, install it.

I am sorry this has been so difficult.

Beans

Hi Chili555

I'm back with good news. I looked over all the posts and noticed that they are all about software problems. I thought why not change the hardware (Ethernet Port), so I looked in my box of extra parts and found a PCI Ethernet Card. After I installed the card and connected the Cat6 line, I booted and was on instantly. I updated and rebooted. I downloaded all of the updates and installed Cinnamon. I hooked up the other drive with Windows 7, got the Grub Menu installed and rebooted. I changed back to the orginal Ethernet port and everything works great. I do get a message when I boot into Ubuntu, that the Internet is not connected but it connects anyway. Is there anyway of getting rid of the message?

Thank you very much for your time and trouble getting my internet to work.

Using a PCI Ethernet Card might be an easy way for others to fix this problem on their computer?

For a laptop, they have USB/Ethernet connectors if that helps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's a great solution and I'm very glad it's finally working!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast