Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: When I need help no idea if is ubuntu lubuntu...

only for second question :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions

look under manual set up help

used to be a GUI for that, but they were causing major errors for some, so they were dropped.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Do you want to mount always? Or would it be OK to mount it with the file browser (by selecting it), when you need it?
    Thanks to all of you guys, really thanks.

1. I wanted always the partition mounted, (I've checked the article very helpful "I can't find the option always mounted") but I guess messing with the proper file I'll be able to do it.

2. Yes I wanted to study something about networking CCNA cysco, just to do something with my life. (Maybe I like to learn about linux instead) I'll need good tutorials...

Most of the commands... I don't even know how to use them but with YouTube I can easily see how they work and then be able to settle a nice base to start with.

What do you think?

I follow a guide of the basic commands but in the third page with just one example I was already lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Tuexnovia View Post
    1. I wanted always the partition mounted, (I've checked the article very helpful "I can't find the option always mounted") but I guess messing with the proper file I'll be able to do it....
    Yes, you need to "mess with" fstab.

From the article that mastablasta linked to, this is the pertinent section

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...lesystem_table
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks to all of you guys, really thanks.

1. I wanted always the partition mounted, (I've checked the article very helpful "I can't find the option always mounted") but I guess messing with the proper file I'll be able to do it.
    You can enter a line in the file /etc/fstab for that second partition.. You get one template from the root drive (mounted on /), and you can get another one if you automount the second partition with your file browser. See in the file /etc/mtab. There is also good information in the following man pages:

Code:
    man fstab
    Code:
    man mount
    Who do you want to own the file system and who do you want to have access? Only you or several users? Maybe several users should have one directory tree each on the partition.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...

Seriously guys... I've been checking this and is really difficult, xDDD I won't give up but wow... guys... I hope I can be able to learn but how people can learn all those codes? WOW xDDD

Ok I've seen that when I mount the NTFS partition as /dev/sda3 trough disks in preferences,(Automatic) I can even mount that disk that already is in:.....

/media/tuexnovia/D
    I'd like to put it in:... for more organization...
    /home/tuexnovia

I think that is possible but well first I'm gonna try to find the way of mount the disk and keep it mounted forever...
    I thought that I just had to open fstab's file and just edit it... and is not so...

I was thinking ok now I'll check fstab and let's see what it says... then I auto mounted the disk and then when I checked again the file fstab it didn't change anything...

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0
    /dev/loop0 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
    none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
    none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
    udev /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
    tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755 0 0
    none /run/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880 0 0
    none /run/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    none /run/user tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755 0 0
    /dev/sda2 /host fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allo w_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    gvfsd-fuse /run/user/tuexnovia/gvfs fuse.gvfsd-fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,user=tuexnovia 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/tuexnovia/D fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl ksize=4096 0 0

[ Read 15 lines (Warning: No write permission) ]
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 206848 122882047 61337600 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 122882048 625137663 251127808 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    tuexnovia@ubuntu:/etc$

Jejej no worries guys I'm just learning thanks for all your help. I keep going and reading tutorials and watching videos... xDD
    Last edited by Tuexnovia; March 6th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Seriously guys... I've been checking this and is really difficult, xDDD I won't give up but wow... guys... I hope I can be able to learn but how people can learn all those codes? WOW xDDD

Ok I've seen that when I mount the NTFS partition as /dev/sda3 trough disks in preferences,(Automatic) I can even mount that disk that already is in:.....

/media/tuexnovia/D
    I'd like to put it in:... for more organization...
    /home/tuexnovia
    Yes, I could see that you have a wubi install with windows on this partition
    Code:
    /dev/sda2 /host fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allo  w_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    and that the second partition D: can be automounted as /media/tuexnovia/D
    Code:
     /dev/sda3 /media/tuexnovia/D fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl  ksize=4096 0 0
    and there is also a small partition (I guess a recovery partition for Windows)
    Code:
     /dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    I think that is possible but well first I'm gonna try to find the way of mount the disk and keep it mounted forever...
    I thought that I just had to open fstab's file and just edit it... and is not so...

I was thinking ok now I'll check fstab and let's see what it says... then I auto mounted the disk and then when I checked again the file fstab it didn't change anything...
    Jejej no worries guys I'm just learning thanks for all your help. I keep going and reading tutorials and watching videos... xDD
    Ubuntu's own partitions reside in files and are loop-mounted
    Code:
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /               ext4    loop,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none            swap    loop,sw         0       0
    I think this setup is OK, at least for a test period. You need not arrange anything to mount
    Code:
    /dev/sda3 /media/tuexnovia/D
    Let it automount when you click on its icon in the file browser

But after a test period with wubi, I suggest that you consider migrating to a real installation of Ubuntu, for example a dual boot installation alongside Windows.

See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

Beans

Ok I'll just mount the drives trough the application DISK, I wanted to do what I'm asking for, "just as a challenge"

Well About wubi, I've to tell you that the first that I did when I tried to install Lubuntu was to put it in a USB bla bla, and due that my netbook is **** I couldn't manage an error that was giving me all the time, and in the middle of the installation was crashing. I put the error in google and many people was having the same problem than me, xDDD

I eventually decided to install Lubuntu instead trough that wuby.

Now I want to change what you told me xDDD

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok I'll just mount the drives trough the application DISK, I wanted to do what I'm asking for, "just as a challenge"

Well About wubi, I've to tell you that the first that I did when I tried to install Lubuntu was to put it in a USB bla bla, and due that my netbook is **** I couldn't manage an error that was giving me all the time, and in the middle of the installation was crashing. I put the error in google and many people was having the same problem than me, xDDD

I eventually decided to install Lubuntu instead trough that wuby.

Now I want to change what you told me xDDD
    Before migrating to a dual boot you should

1. Backup your system or at least your personal data (because things can go wrong). I suggest that you put the backup on an external drive.

2. Booted from the Ubuntu boot drive, edit your partitions with gparted, to create space for the real dual boot partition and a swap partition.

3. Migrate ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Before migrating to a dual boot you should

1. Backup your system or at least your personal data (because things can go wrong). I suggest that you put the backup on an external drive.

2. Booted from the Ubuntu boot drive, edit your partitions with gparted, to create space for the real dual boot partition and a swap partition.

3. Migrate ...

Ok thanks but I'm scared because if it goes wrong, there is just one way of install this S.O due to my netbook as I said. (Well maybe other version of lubuntu or whatever make it work...)

Will I get something changing what you're telling me? (Just organization right?)

Besides I won't use windows I don't need it, unless I have to use photshop... This is a netbook I guess that in a I7, I won't be using Lubuntu, I like it but if I learn the shell and so on... what I'm gonna do with that if what I do is just playing, watching movies make some videos and browsing... with I7 and SSD, win 7 flies... I know is not the same but it's enough for me right now unless I study something...

I'd like to study networking CCNA, for now but I can't find any good tutorial... Well I want to study that just because I know it will be useful in a future just because of that... I don't know guys you can maybe change my mind xDD

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems to be too early to migrate your wubi install. Don't worry about that now, continue to discover your system and the programs that belong to it, maybe learn a little about terminal window commands etc.

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about CCNA. I think that you can find a lot about it browsing the internet and search with different word combinations. Maybe someone else can give you some good links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12