Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...

Beans

Red face Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...

hi guys I'd like to ask you something, when I'm looking for something in internet I find so many places where they are talking about XUBUNTU, KUBUNTU, and different distros that makes me feel completly lost...

I'd like to read a usefull guide to start with.

For example today I learner for what is it use.

Synaptic, GDBI, Lubuntu software center... (At the beggining you had to put a code in the terminat to update it right? why and where does it come from that?)

I mean you had to put apt- get update

I'm just asking stupid questions that I always try to type one google, but now I'll really need a guide to know the basic controls easy comands. AND SO ON...

Thanks guys. I hope you understand me xD

Beans

Re: When I need help no idea if is ubuntu lubuntu...

I'd like to know for example what should be learning... thanks

Ubuntu or lubuntu?

sorry for this little misunderstanding of concepts, my problem is that I don't think that I'd be able to learn a new language...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu is the main distro, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu (well it's not anymore for Kubuntu) are all recognized distrobutions via Canonical. They all base their packages and code off of Ubuntu's base which is Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian - but since has branched off.

If you're using Lubuntu you're using what's called LXDE - Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.
    If you're using Ubuntu you're using what's called Unity - it's a dashboard based Desktop Environment that left behind the old Gnome2 packages - instead of going with Gnome 3 they made their own variant for a more polished version of Linux.

If you want a starter guide you can try this site it looks like it has good information on what's what - more geared for Ubuntu: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Quantal

If you're a real beginner and don't want much hassle of trying to figure out how to install this or that, you can use Linux Mint. Don't use Debian Edition as that's what they call a "rolling release" which means that as soon as packages are updated, they are pushed to your system. Instead of verifying that they're stable and work with other core-components to make sure they don't crash, they push it out - the latest and greatest - so you're system can break easily with it (granted I haven't had an issue yet).

Linux Mint was based off of Ubuntu but they now use more Debian than Ubuntu - it's a whole structured Tier of things - as an oversimplification:
    Debian makes packages and puts them into DEB files using (depending on Testing, Unstable, or Stable) whichever version you're using. It's the barebones so to speak so it gives you the basics to get up and running. They don't have a software center like Ubuntu does, but they use Synaptics (which can be hard to figure out at first).
    Ubuntu uses Debian as it's base, but configures it more custom-like for what it feels users should have, it then runs its own repositories (software caches) for users to download based on what they feel to make the system the best in their eyes. Usually newer software (not patches or security updates) aren't pushed out until a new release (e.g. 12.10, 13.04, 13.10) and they have a specific release schedule - every 6 months. PPAs are setup to where other users/developers/etc. can compile newer software and make it available to others to install - maintaining certain libraries and packages as well that may be required to install said software.
    Now Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu take it further by taking Ubuntu and using their own set of packages, stripping what they feel isn't necessary and running their own DE (desktop environment) K = KDE, L = LXDE, and X = XFCE

You can always as questions and we'll answer. This is a very basic and oversimplification of things but it may help.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuexnovia View Post
    I'd like to know for example what should be learning... thanks

Ubuntu or lubuntu?

sorry for this little misunderstanding of concepts, my problem is that I don't think that I'd be able to learn a new language...
    - Are you trying to learn about Ubuntu and Lubuntu before installing?

- Or have you already installed one of the Ubuntu flavours?

- Do you need help to select what to install or do you need help to get an installed system running or do you want to do something in particular with your system?

If you describe your computer and what you intend to do with it, it will be easier to give advice.

- brand name and model
    - present operating system
    - cpu
    - ram
    - hard disk drive (and how is free)
    - graphics card/chip
    - wifi card/chip

and what will be your main tasks to do with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Kubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Ubuntu is the main distro, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu (well it's not anymore for Kubuntu) are all recognized distrobutions via Canonical.
    i need to correct you here. Kubutnu is official Ubuntu spinoff. It's just that the developer that was working on is not on Cannonical payrole anymore. or he was moved to another cannonical department. not sure exaclty. anyway it then became like Xubuntu and Lubuntu ->> a community driven project. however, Kubuntu version 12.04 LTS still has official Cannonical 5 year support.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Guys really thanks for everything I was quite lost like 2 hours ago and now I've been reading this:
    http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_lts0060.php -and I feel more comfortable-
    well I'm coming from a win7 I7 gtx 670 total gamer. I do always OC I know really well the world of computers etc...

I wanted to start learning about something new, but I feel like a new language will be to hard for me (just my opinion)
    Now I'm runiing Lubuntu 12.10 (I learned how to check my version lsb_release -a xD) but you see I can't remember all the codes.

in a Atom N455 1.6Gh perfect to put Lubuntu well is already on it xD

My idea right now that I can't put games and do hard work with this poor CPU. I'd like to learn something first of all I'll try to be able to manage and understand Lubuntu like if I were in windows to feel that I can do everything. and then I'll start learning something else it can be regarding S.O networking and so on. but I'd like to start slowly reading guides trough internet and maybe like this I fin my career and I really go to study something. I'm 27 so I'll have to run xD

Beans
    Hidden!

Guys really thanks for everything I was quite lost like 2 hours ago and now I've been reading this:
    http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_lts0060.php -and I feel more comfortable-
    well I'm coming from a win7 I7 gtx 670 total gamer. I do always OC I know really well the world of computers etc...
    You can run the Ubuntu flavours with most eye-candy on this computer: Ubuntu with Unity and Kubuntu with KDE.
    I wanted to start learning about something new, but I feel like a new language will be to hard for me (just my opinion)
    Now I'm runiing Lubuntu 12.10 (I learned how to check my version lsb_release -a xD) but you see I can't remember all the codes.

in a Atom N455 1.6Gh perfect to put Lubuntu well is already on it xD

My idea right now that I can't put games and do hard work with this poor CPU. I'd like to learn something first of all I'll try to be able to manage and understand Lubuntu like if I were in windows to feel that I can do everything. and then I'll start learning something else it can be regarding S.O networking and so on. but I'd like to start slowly reading guides trough internet and maybe like this I fin my career and I really go to study something. I'm 27 so I'll have to run xD
    Lubuntu with its ultra light-weight desktop environment LXDE works well with your Atom CPU. So learn your graphical user interface programs for browsing, editing (word processing), image processing, video playing and editing ...

It is easy to find tips, tutorials and even books (paper books, ebooks) browsing the internet. Browse quickly until you find something really interesting

And then it is time to learn about terminal window command. Read for example this thread

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources

Good luck

Beans

Really thanks for everything guys, let me ask you something else and I won't disturb you again xD I mean xDDDD
    I'd like to study something related with networking like CCNA, but I can't find a guide to follow and get started... (Just in case you know something)
    and my last question, I've checked in google but I can't find a proper way to mont my seconds partition NTFS (D and leave it like this even when I reboot...

Thanks I can't stop reading xDDD

Lubuntu 12.10
    Last edited by Tuexnovia; March 5th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Really thanks for everything guys, let me ask you something else and I won't disturb you again xD I mean xDDDD
    I'd like to study something related with networking like CCNA, but I can't find a guide to follow and get started... (Just in case you know something)
    and my last question, I've checked in google but I can't find a proper way to mont my seconds partition NTFS (D and leave it like this even when I reboot...

Thanks I can't stop reading xDDD

Lubuntu 12.10
    Is this what you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCNA?

You can browse the internet for ubuntu network and find several interesting links

Also remember the security aspects. Start with this link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you want to mount always? Or would it be OK to mount it with the file browser (by selecting it), when you need it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast