Thread: Compilation of MrBayes does not run ./cofig script

Beans

Compilation of MrBayes does not run ./cofig script

Hello all!
    I am sorry to have to post a new thread but I promisse I have done my homework on how to installing/compiling new applications in Ubuntu by the command line and despite my various frustations I am not yet able to accomplish this particular installation by myself. So I would like to acknowledge that I very much appreciate your help!

I am trying to install this application to my Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit system: http://mrbayes.sourceforge.net/download.php

So I download the package mrbayes-3.2.1.tar.gz and decompress it, creating a folder called mrbayes-3.2.1 in Downloads folder.
    When I try to move on with the compilation instructions of the application wiki-site, which next step would be to ./configure installation, it does not work in my terminal:

<<SNAPSHOT OF THE APPLICATION WEBSITE INSTRUCTIONS ON TO HOW PROCEED IN COMPILING THE FILES>>

<<CERTIFYING I UNPACKED THE PACKAGE AND CREATED ITS FOLDER>>

<<TRYING TO MAKE IT RUN ./CONFIG COMMAND IN MRBAYES-3.2.1 FOLDER AND THEN ALSO IN MRBAYES-3.2.1/USR FOLDER WHICH SEEMS TO CONTAINS MANY SCRIPTS>>

As you can see from the above pictures, I tried to do as the website instructions said (and all imaginable variations I could come up with) but still I do not know why these errors messages appear in terminal. Why doesn't ./config work? I need install this software for my end-of-graduation theses so any help will be very much appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Compilation of MrBayes does not run ./cofig script

Hi & welcome to the forums,

First you need to run autoconf, which will create the configure script. You likely don't have it installed already, so:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install autoconf
    cd ~/Downloads/mrbayes_3.2.1/src
    autoconf
    ./configure
    Also, it might be an idea to make the install-sh script executable by typing the following in the src directory:

Code:
    chmod +x install-sh
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by lechien73; March 5th, 2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Forgot the welcome :)
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans

Re: Compilation of MrBayes does not run ./cofig script

Thank you @lechien73 ! Yoru suggestion of running autoconfig command did seem to work. I think that is what was missing before...
    Even though I managed to proceed with the installation/compilation, the application did not install entirely because my ubuntu version (12.04) apparently is not compatible with mrbayes_3.2.1. I just saw that today. It only works on 12.10, which I intend to install this afternoon!

Thank you so much for your time!