Thread: Canon PIXMA MG 2120

Beans

Unhappy Canon PIXMA MG 2120

I have a new printer Canon PIXMA MG 2120 and I don't know how to find the drivers in the Community to set it up to my laptop which is a ACER-aspire 5742 is their some one out that can coach me along till I get it up and running please. I tried the software center and I just got lost Thank you

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sean neilan View Post
    I have a new printer Canon PIXMA MG 2120 and I don't know how to find the drivers in the Community to set it up to my laptop which is a ACER-aspire 5742 is their some one out that can coach me along till I get it up and running please. I tried the software center and I just got lost Thank you
    also what has been recommended so has not worked, I'm a complete beginner I don't even know how to open a terminal so I can do those sudo commands so please help me and my printer is a color and photo printer so please help THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME IF YOU DO DECIDE TO HELP THIS NEWBE.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktop is soon at it's end of life, April 2013, while the server version (without graphics) will receive security updates for two more yearss.

I guess you have the desktop edition, so I suggest that you choose a new version, the current long time support version 12.04 LTS or 12.10. These versions have much better support for hardware and peripheral devices like graphics cards/chips and printers.

If you want more precise advice, please post the specifications of your computer, at least cpu, ram, graphics chip/card and wifi chip/card

Beans

Re: Canon PIXMA MG 2120

Hi Sean; it can be very daunting starting out in linux: as sudodus says, best to install a more recent version of Ubuntu;

in the thread that sersang posted

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2066330

I see in post #6 I suggested some commands; one copies and pastes those into a terminal

...........how to open a terminal.........????????????

one way is...........Control Alt t .........using all three fingers at the same time........usually works .........

here is a link

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22283...inal-in-linux/

that is worth pottering through once you get a new ubuntu installed; push the buttons; click on the settings; .......

and SUBSCRIBE to this thread............ click on the GO ADVANCED button and scroll down on the options........ click to subscribe for a thread means you can follow up on things quickly and be kept in touch
    Last edited by pdc; March 8th, 2013 at 05:07 AM.

Beans

I just want to thank all of you who have taken the time to help this complete beginner out. I'm going to upgrade to the newest version 12.04 or 12.10 I am going back to my friend who helped me and installed 10.04 and this will happen this Friday. I only have one question for how many years will the new version be supported?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rsion_timeline

Xubuntu uses three years LTS and Lubuntu don't use it at all.

I would go for a clean install of the new release and not an upgrade.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

My friend installed Ubuntu 10.04 and I have been using it ever since, and he is going to be be doing the upgrade or new install again so when I see him I will discus this with him. thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Installing is really easy. Why not try yourself as a first step and call your friend if anything fails?

You can get the 64 bit Xubuntu 12.10 here:
    http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

and follow (more or less) these instructions for installing:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

The latter is written for an older release, so the looks is a little different now. Main process is the same, though.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.