Thread: Add Menu Items to Dash

Beans

Add Menu Items to Dash

Hi, I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and have been tinkering with alacarte to edit items in the dash which works fine ...to a point! What I would like to do is add another main menu item.
    For example, In the main menu of ubuntu I have a list of Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, System Tools etc, can i add my own entry to this? I noticed wine has added an entry so it must be possible but using alacarte all i can do is add menus under these main headings not next to them. Another example I have created a new menu item under games called "Emulators" in which I have different emulators BUT I have to select Games>Emulators>name of emulator to run. Can I have it as a root folder like Wine has put itself as?

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Add Menu Items to Dash

Hello and Welcome

Alacarte/Main Menu won't allow you to create a new menu category in unity although it will in Gnome Classic . The Unity panel and dash are separate from both Classic Gnome panel and the Gnome Shell.

The main menu will allow the user to deactivate/ hide menu items in Gnome Classic/Shell but Unity doesn't respond to the setting and displays all installed applications unless they are blocked in privacy.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 5th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Hi, Thanks for the answer. IS there any way of creating a directory where Accessories, Games, Wine etc are stored so it will show in the list? I also have classicmenu indicator installed, it's like a standard start button (in Windoze) that pops up with the contents under main headings like Accessories, Games etc. Can I add a folder somewhere so this new menu will be shown next to the main headings not as a sub directory and just add shortcuts into that folder? I have done it so it is a sub directory and it works well but where will the is be stored in the system? My main intention is to add a root directory so it adds a tab in slingshot launcher. At the moment it works if I add games to the Games folder with alacarte butI have to disable everything else that I do not want to display. Just the games I want to play.

If this is getting hard to follow I apologize all I would like is to click slingshot and have other folders along the top that I have created with different emulator folders like snes, genesis, Amiga etc...then it shows the shortcuts to games for those systems in their own window without having ALL the games within the games folder showing. I thought maybe adding a menu through Alacarte would work but it just adds a sub directory under games that doesnt show in slingshot as it just reads ALL the shortcuts from the Games folder into one window
    Last edited by Bladeforce; March 5th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I really don't know how alacarte might interact with the classic menu indicator . I know that native games have a folder of their own in file system > usr/games. You may want to ask Wine questions on that sub forum, I dual boot and have no knowledge of where the Wine directory/s are located which you may need to know when trying to create a path for a launcher or folder . http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313

What you are proposing may be possible but it might require a script of some kind as part of the launcher/ folder command. Alacarte is a feature of the Gnome user interface and not Unity but it is still useful for creating launchers. I had no problem with creating a folder launcher for Unity,but with Wine as part of the mix it becomes more complicated.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual