Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot fro

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot

I use an eee PC 1000, my first linux computer, and it took me a long time to work out that there was a 16Gb drive waiting to be used. I now have Lubuntu 12.04 on it with the /usr directory sharing the 16GB drive with the /home directory which seems to work pretty well.

On mine, when you go into the BIOS and select boot, the 'select boot' option doesn't show up a USB or SD card unless you first go into the item below which allows you alter the order of HDDs - can't be more specific since I am using the machine at the moment!
    If you put whatever you want to boot from a first hdd then it should show up in the 'select boot' list. In my experience I have to do this every time I want to boot from a card or USB, it reverts to the standard setting.

Some of that may apply to your machine -if not, sorry if I've confused you further!

Susan
    Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz 1.5GB RAM
    Xubuntu 12.04
    Computers are my mid-life crisis - it could have been worse!

Beans

Re: Eee pc 4gb was Linux, now Win XP. I want to reinstall Linux but no option to boot

I have an ancient Aspire One with the same problem. I put a persistent USB of Knoppix on it, and it runs like new.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    You cannot just copy an install disc to a USB stick and make it bootable.
    To do that you can use Unetbootin which will work on Mac, Linux or Windows.
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    Yes I understand this now coldraven, I am getting there slowly. I'm having quite a bit of trial and erring at the moment because the eee pc is not connected to the internet and I am using a laptop running windows vista for downloads etc. After reading your help for the first time I went to UNetbootin and downloaded the windows version but needed to download the Linux version. I will then practise on getting the machine to boot from the USB and move on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Installing Puppy Linux might be a little daunting so for the moment just try to create a bootable USB drive and get it to boot up.
    Then you will see how Puppy looks and we can assist you if you want to make it a permanent install.
    I am certain that I will want to make it permanent and am really keen, even now as I type, to get cracking on learning how. But I appreciate your taking time out to point me in the right direction so much that I just wanted to check back with you to say thanks!
    Last edited by Markup 001; March 6th, 2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: "for downloads etc"

Beans

Not confused at all, thank you Susan, you've just given me more to go at when the time comes around for me to be thinking about capacity. I've been staring pretty dumbly at the bios "as is", so am looking forward to finding out whether the additional options you can call on will apply in my case too.

Thank you,
    Mark

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    I have an ancient Aspire One with the same problem. I put a persistent USB of Knoppix on it, and it runs like new.
    Thanks jleon85, I have made a note somewhere to read up on Knoppix and look forward to learning more about it once I am installed with Linux of some version and up and running.

Cheers my friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wait, if your computer currently runs Windows, then you need the Windows version of Unetbootin.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok, I'm an owner of a 900a and I've had 32948203950602934 versions of linux installed on it.

1. Upgrade your drive. 4gb is extremely limiting. You can do one of two things. First, upgrade the ssd to a larger drive. Mine is 16gb. If that's prohibitively expensive these days you can run a Linux OS from a larger sd card and ignore the ssd. Install from the USB live session to the sd card and set your eeepc to boot from the sd card.

2. The other option is to run something small. Puppy based on Ubuntu is one choice. Another would be Lubuntu or Bodhi. There are probably some smallish Debian-based distros too that I'm forgetting.

In summary, look to upgrade the memory capacity of your eeepc and/or run a lighter version of linux.

That should be functional machine for the indefinite future if you set it up right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    2. The other option is to run something small. Puppy based on Ubuntu is one choice. Another would be Lubuntu or Bodhi. There are probably some smallish Debian-based distros too that I'm forgetting.
    antiX for example:

The installer needs minimum 2.2GB hard disk size.
    http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

might be easier to install than puppy.

Slitaz is also super mini linux worth to look at.

some list of distributions for older computers.
    http://distrowatch.com/search.php?os...&status=Active
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Markup 001 View Post
    As I say the machine came with Linux installed from new and I have the original restore disc that came with it
    This is probably a distro called Xandros. It's not particularly good, which is the reason the early Eee PCs with Linux weren't that popular and it got swiftly replaced with Windows XP.

You'll definitely want to try something like Puppy, although there is a security caveat with Puppy in that it runs as root the whole time (much like Windows XP would make the first user an admin). There used to be special distros for the 4GB Eee PCs like EasyPeasy and Eeebuntu.

However, the problem is that since it was only the first gen Eee's that were stuck with the 4GB SSD there's not been any demand for special <4GB distros for a while, and those ones are now somewhat out-of-date and unsupported. Recent builds of Ubuntu would probably struggle to get onto a 4GB drive. Technically you could use anything based on Ubuntu 10.04 (such as EasyPeasy 1.6) or Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but support for these ends this April.

Beans

Thanks a million times over for all of your input friends, 3rdalbum, drawkcab, mastablasta & Paqman. I can't read enough of your comments and take every one of them as encouragement and inspiration!!
    I had a look at antix and as you pointed out 2.2gb is an awful lot of what I have available at this present time so for now I am thinking Puppy Linux is the way to go.

Right...

I am now officially a Linux user - albeit a very slow one as the more I learn, the more I come to realise just how little I know, and need to know.

I managed to get the download and installation of Linux onto my eee pc, via a laptop with an internet connection, to work for me with guidance from people on the forum here.
    Using a command line, I have established that I am using this version of Linux...well I will type here what I see on the eee pc screen.

/home/user> uname -a

Linux asus-1470923030 2.6.21.4-eeepc #2 Mon Oct 1512.49.37 EDT 2007 1686 GNU/Linux

/home/user> cat /proc/version
    Linux asus-1470923030 2.6.21.4-eeepc(root01386-desktop.build.ottawa.xandros.ca) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (debian 4.1.1-21)) #2 MON OCT 15 12;49;37 EDT 2007

I have downloaded an .iso file of Puppy Linux (pup-431.iso) to my bootable USB and am considering overwriting (if that is the correct term) my existing version of Linux with it because no matter how many times I try, I cannot establish an internet connection on the eee pc, either wireless or wired.
    I am totally familiar with the setting up of connections etc so I’m fairly certain that the error is not with me but with the machine, or more specifically the Linux version I have installed because it was fine when running windows XP.

Can anyone advise me on whether installing puppy linux at this stage is a little ambitious please and whether, after looking at my stats above, I am choosing the correct upgrade or not? I am very patient and don’t mind doing one or more installations in between if I will get the most suitable and stable installation in the end.

I have read up on the internet connection issue I am experiencing and find that it was a serious gripe with eee users a few years ago, so I am not overly concerned with that as I hope a proper upgrade will sort it out for me.

Thanks again for your generosity friends.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast