Thread: What do you think of this eink display laptop?

QwUo173Hy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you think of this eink display laptop?

I've been in touch with this company and they offered to install Ubuntu on this machine as a dual-boot option. Here is the device: http://www.cloversystems.com/SunBook.htm

I'm a bit out of touch with hardware, how do these specs look? I'm not interested in

Also, how many of you would consider switching to an eink-display laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What do you think of this eink display laptop?

I wonder if a lighter less graphically demanding distro like Xubuntu or Lubuntu might be more suitable. The display looks like it's 1024 X 600, similar to netbooks. I haven't had that display resolution to try with Unity or Gnome-shell but I'd be a little sceptical. Hopefully someone with a 1024 X 600 display will chip in. I'd think the RAM and processor would be adequate for most desktop distros. It looks like a useful machine for brightly lit areas or daytime outdoor use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All they show in the video is a static page, I'd be really curious to see how the display works with streaming video. Personally if I spent most of my working day outside and needed a computer to view static pages only, I may consider something like this.

QwUo173Hy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

kurt, cariboo, thanks for the feedback. I contacted them about refresh rates etc and they offered to install Ubuntu for me One thing to note is that it is not in fact e-Ink but transflective TFT LCD. I'd be happy working on one of these all day. I'll bet terminal apps will be a lot of fun too

Beans
    Distro

Having Ubuntu installed is a real plus. That eliminates the liklihood of having a wifi adapter or other hardware that doesn't want to play nice. We see enough of that here. I'm looking forward to your review

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Having used Unity on a netbook for over a year, I can say that it works perfectly well at that resolution.

There are occasionally annoyances with some programs that can't be resized to a manageable size (HandBrake is one offender...), but that's an issue that transcends DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've competed bid-wise on some jobs against clover systems, they are top-notch, don't let the poorly coded website fool you.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"