Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    To anyone interested in the debate regarding MIR / Wayland please follow the debate in the comments on Allan Pope's G+, even Mark S. is trying to make a point.
    Sounds more like he has his tinfoil hat on and wagging his finger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Sounds more like he has his tinfoil hat on and wagging his finger.
    The debate just got a whole new dimension, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Back to MIR , it doesn't sound like there is a debate . I have learned to wait and see when it comes to announcements so I don't get over passionate about that which may never come to be. I remember the Gnome Shell as a possibility on 10.10 .

=== Mir + Unity QML + Unity APIs = Unity ===

Olli Ries, Engineering Director for Unity and Display Server at
    Canonical, announces and shares some insights about the Mir display
    server and Unity QML. According to what Ries calls their ambitious
    goal, Unity will transition back to Qt/QML, and Mir will replace
    Xserver in 2013.

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/03/04/...ty-apis-unity/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

@ Frogs Hair
    I read the page you linked to, but I really can't find head or tails in it ?
    There is no reason, technical or otherwise, that the ubuntu developers have come up with that justifies MIR other than control.
    Remember that, as Mr.JJ pointed out earlier on this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    We are talking about the lower end of the stack here. At shell/app level you can have as much control/forks as you need; no probs. But at the lower end, it is essentially breaking the entire ecosystem.
    This could cause a lot of harm to the whole Linux community.

Here is a Quote taken from Christopher Halse Rogers G+. Please take the time to follow the debate in the comments too !
    This is only possible because all the ancillary work done by Wayland developers, particularly Kristian. Mir is a Wayland-alike; we're piggybacking on a lot of good work done for Wayland. Hopefully we'll contribute back not just an awesome display server in the form of Mir and an awesome desktop environment in the form of Unity
    Wrong !! Even Christopher Halse Rogers thinks that Unity is a DE.
    Unity...... Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's......
    Well I known what it's not, a DE. Unity is only a shell like Gnome-Shell.
    Unity relies heavily on Gnome components to be a DE. You can say that Ubuntu is piggybacking on a lot of good work done by the Gnome developers.
    Why is Ubuntu not producing it's own DE ?
    Will the developers replace the Gnome components with the matching ones from KDE or what, now that the future framework for Unity will be Qt/QML ?
    Where is the master plan for the desktop in all this mess ??

Furthermore, if "Mir is a Wayland-alike" and the MIR developers are "piggybacking on a lot of good work done for Wayland" they should have stayed with Wayland, joined forces with the Wayland developers, bend it to meet Ubuntu's needs instead of piggybacking and try to reinvent the wheel.

No, the point here is gaining control, and the way Canonical is doing it, can cause a lot of harm to the Linux community.
    Last edited by Stinger; March 13th, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Removing the tin foil hat, I must be brave ;)

Beans

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. It seems the whole thing is about egos and control. Show's how pathetic some developers can be.Write the software, and if it works well we'll keep using it. Stop tearing at each others throats and do some programming.

Beans
    Distro

@ mr john
    You are entitled to do your own reasoning, but that doesn't change the facts.
    About Mir

Just a quick notice. Mir isn’t like a fragmentation between a package manager or a toolkit. Mir brings fragmentation in the very low level of Linux Desktop and in the part that Linux hurts most; Graphics stack, including Mesa, Drivers and Hardware Manufacturers.
    Ps. Are you in a position where you can tell developers what to do and what to not ?

Beans

Yes. I want Mir windowing system to my computers.
    I hope Wayland/Weston and Mir will some day join together.

Beans

Looks like Mir is on the right track:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...t-1821991.html

P.S. Everybody was comfortable to talk about supporting Wayland but not much was done and it looks like Mir did speed up things and that is a good thing!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 13th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@ EgoGratis
    You have point there, Mir actually did some good too, maybe indirectly but still, I never saw it that way
    I read it earlier on worldofgnome.org Working on a bigger proposal
    After Canonical’s announcement to abandon Wayland as an X Server replacement and build their very own display server (Mir) it was the time of GNOME Foundation to make their move and fast-forward their plans for GNOME in Wayland.

This is nothing but an early proposal, but from Matthias Clasen and that counts a lot

Beans

That would definitely be a good outcome. Hopefully in the end the Linux world will end up with one standard replacement for X. If Mir speeds that process along, that's a good thing.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast