Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 215

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    699

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Sometimes i do feel we need more successful projects in FOSS like for example Linux kernel where there really isn't any point in creating another one. Toolkit, display server... there really isn't much point in having too many of them.

    I think we will have to start talking openly about this and start solving this differently.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 6th, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,917
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    X looks like will stay a bit longer as reasonable choice unless Canonical has AMD and Nvidia on board with Mir. Wayland/Weston probably had a shot but if the most popular desktop Linux distribution will not use it then i doubt AMD and Nvidia will make any meaningful push away from X with the blob. I thought eventually Android, Ubuntu... will use Wayland/Weston but guess i was wrong and we will see in let's say 2 years time where will all this get us.
    I pretty well agree at this stage of the game. That's a great synopisis.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Beans
    869
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    X looks like will stay a bit longer as reasonable choice unless Canonical has AMD and Nvidia on board with Mir. Wayland/Weston probably had a shot but if the most popular desktop Linux distribution will not use it then i doubt AMD and Nvidia will make any meaningful push away from X with the blob. I thought eventually Android, Ubuntu... will use Wayland/Weston but guess i was wrong and we will see in let's say 2 years time where will all this get us.
    Luckily those of us with intel hardware probably will be able to use mir or wayland with no problems
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    699

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Luckily those of us with intel hardware probably will be able to use mir or wayland with no problems
    There will be problems for sure because to produce decent display server and build support around it is not an easy and quick task and ATM we have 3 of them and we are still not there yet!

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    7,333
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    here goes....
    @ventrical

    I was right about you. You're an awesome tester. And you never say that the water is fine, come on in, when it actually is freezing cold. Fly Ventrical!
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  6. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,917
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

    I was right about you. You're an awesome tester. And you never say that the water is fine, come on in, when it actually is freezing cold. Fly Ventrical!

    heheh .. Thanks Grahammechanical .. and btw .. it's cold enough out here in Mir land for sure ! lol

    Gotta go see my eye doctor now. If I get some new glasses I might be able to start programming again .. but beta testing is a lot more fun .
    Last edited by ventrical; March 6th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  7. #77
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    11

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Thanks for putting extended information.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,917
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtechsmith View Post
    Thanks for putting extended information.
    My apologies for being off topic.

    In the proper context a 'brass monkey' was used in the Royal Navy. It was a brass , triangular shaped platform where cannon balls were stacked and when it got cold enough , the balls would fall off because the metal would contract.

    edit:

    btw .. I was able to get Mir to actually do something. I hit ctrl+alt+F1 and entered the code mir from the command prompt. It disappeared and gave me a black screen and when i tried to get back to terminals it would just briefly flash my hostname and login - eventual having to reboot.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 6th, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,013
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    My apologies for being off topic.

    In the proper context a 'brass monkey' was used in the Royal Navy. It was a brass , triangular shaped platform where cannon balls were stacked and when it got cold enough , the balls would fall off because the metal would contract.

    edit:

    btw .. I was able to get Mir to actually do something. I hit ctrl+alt+F1 and entered the code mir from the command prompt. It disappeared and gave me a black screen and when i tried to get back to terminals it would just briefly flash my hostname and login - eventual having to reboot.
    You should have used Ctrl-C to get out of there... It works for me...

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    LOCATION=/dev/random
    Beans
    5,767
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Who wants to test MIR?

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    In the proper context a 'brass monkey' was used in the Royal Navy. It was a brass , triangular shaped platform where cannon balls were stacked and when it got cold enough , the balls would fall off because the metal would contract.
    I didn't think that was actually true....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_m...osed_etymology

    I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable place to get information but their sources seem to be legit.


    Any, back on topic.

    After todays mir updates I'm still unable to get anything functioning. I'm following the instructions in the HACKING.md file, and it seems like the server is starting but I get nothing more than a blank screen. After using CTRL+C to quit back to the TTY there is a segfault error from mir onscreen.
    Cheesemill

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •