Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    No.

And i will end the debate in this thread with this thought. Ubuntu was upfront and transparent as one could get for few years now already and upstreams are not the only one to blame on why Ubuntu hasn't gain more install base in consumer market place but i do believe Canonical would give back more control of the direction Ubuntu is going to usptreams in areas where it was decided to do things differently if upstreams would find a viable solution on how to achieve let's say 10x install base of GNU/Linux and it's ecosystem in few years time. If usptreams are not that interested in achieving this goal then it's quite obvious why Ubuntu is going in the direction it's currently going.
    And I'll end my debate notes with this thought. Linux , in general, is dependent upon maintanence and people to do that maintanence. That means programmers have to actually *program* code and deliver code on a timely basis. When I first beta tested Linus' kernel in 1995 I could barely get it to create a bootable floppy (and in those days we were using 2400/9600 BAUD modems through FIDO_NET). So ...... we waited .. and waited.. and eventually upgrades would get through (which was totally dependent on the NCs and NECs). The time it took to wait was anything but dynamic. Those were dark days in the desert. I literally forked off elsewhere but always kept Linux in my back pocket. Then , with what Shuttlworth and Canonical has done with Ubuntu, was just a real revolution in the Open Software Concept and it was viable, workable and fixes were produced 'yesterday' as we say in North America. But the bottom line , after all those years was maintanence and Shuttleworth and Co. motivated developers and programmers to put up or shut up. Linux is now hot again , mainly due to Shuttleworth and I for one am grateful that he took up this load on his shoulders.

However .. getting back to being a maintainer and maintanence .. this is not 1995 .. it's 2013 and now .. when the code is not there or delayed for some reason then it becomes a security risk for the rest of the teams and all there is left are excuses.

Kind Regards,

Ventrical
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Obviously there were some serious security issues with wayland.
    That isn't correct and if you check the wiki you will find those claims have been retracted.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    That isn't correct and if you check the wiki you will find those claims have been retracted.

Been there .. and I just beg to differ. The progress is not in synconicity with the rest of the program and in that sense it presents a security risk. I appreciate all the passion that those have for wayland , as I did at one time also. I am not trying to cause discension here and if my words have , then I apologize. From what I have observed, I just can't see it and perhaps that has to do with my own biases but I guarentee you that I have tried to look at all of this as I would look at a flowchart or read psuedo_code to the best of my ability. Although the point is moot, and my observations obviously differ with those concepts of others oppossed to my veiws then I stand corrected in the technical nomenclature but I will not conceed my conceptual debate point that wayland , past -current, was a security risk. That apparently being resolved?.. then I really have no standing to add anything furthur .. however , time will tell.

Best Regards

Ventrical

Kind Regards,

ventrical
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Obviously there were some serious security issues with wayland. I think it is a wise thing to have more control over the display server because this way there is more control over possible security leaks.
    I tried to search for 'security issues and security leaks' with Wayland but I haven't found anything yet, Can you please tell me where I can read about the 'security issues' with Wayland ?
    (All I came up with was this post from Dave Airlie. Ps mind the language )
    Last edited by Stinger; March 11th, 2013 at 02:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I tried to search for 'security issues and security leaks' with Wayland but I haven't found anything yet, Can you please tell me where I can read about the 'security issues' with Wayland ?
    The only place I ever saw it was on the MIR wiki and those claims were retracted as soon as the Wayland devs pointed out that the claims were false.

Beans
    Distro

Errr, can we focus on mir testing and leave aside the politics? I want to see the progress of Mir in this thread

Beans
    Distro

To get back on topic - nobody can do something useful with the released code and therefore I will play again with MIR as soon there is code released which brings in functionality to play with. At the moment it is waste of time and it is better to invest time somewhere else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This thread should be split into (at least) two:
    1. for those who want/plan to test Mir in its develompment
    2. for those who want/plan to discuss should Mir be there or not, etc. ...
    Just my .02$
    "Give Mir a chance"...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Here's one that has been sitting since September, 2012.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1058211
    This is Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    "Give Mir a chance"...
    +1

This is Rolling Release

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast