Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

"Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro

Re: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

I saw the second link on FaceBook, thanks to OMG Ubuntu.

"Unity's moving away from Compiz..."
    I've read both articles, but I'm not sure to understand.

Does that mean all the kickass Compiz effects (Some cool, others useful) will be gone ?! :O

Thanks for the confirmation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Does that mean all the kickass Compiz effects (Some cool, others useful) will be gone ?! :O

Thanks for the confirmation.
    My guess is they'll recreate the effects currently present in a default-install, but stuff like wobbly windows, painting with fire etc. will probably have to wait for someone to have enough spare time.

On the up-side we get flickerless boot-up and salvation from the more buggy side of Compiz (hopefully) + a slew of other stuff. The specification-link in the article already has me convinced that this is a good thing(tm)
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Interesting reading:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the development of Wayland now that the biggest Linux distro has ditched it...

I'm also starting to doubt that Lubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu will continue to exist after so many changes: rolling release, new display server, focus on Ubuntu Touch, etc. At least, in their current form: based on Ubuntu. Using Debian on the other hand should be a lot easier so maybe they'll switch to it? I guess we should find that out soon, after the Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu teams analyze their options.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubunt...ay-server.html
    Last edited by Dry Lips; March 5th, 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the development of Wayland now that the biggest Linux distro has ditched it...
    I would say there's really only two reasonably likely outcomes.

a. Wayland falls by the wayside.

b. Ubuntu fails.

Every significant desktop linux distro out there runs X.

Having different distros running different display servers would cripple the entire linux community.

It appears that most of the major distros have recognized that X needs to be replaced, and up until now, Wayland seemed to be the new direction.

By abandoning Wayland in favor of MIR, Ubuntu is putting all their eggs in one basket and hoping that it will be so awesome that every major distro follows them or gives up and dies. If that happens, then great. More people running one distro means better support, a more active community, and most importantly it means that software developers will focus more on Ubuntu. It's a giant bag of win. The problem is that if everybody else moves forward with Wayland, Ubuntu will be the odd-man out. Commercially produced software will be non-existent, and the community will suffer, wither and die.

Effectively, canonical is playing chicken with the rest of the linux world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Judging by that video, Mir is looking pretty awesome for this stage of the game. Wayland took much longer than that to go from zero to running a desktop with X. If ubuntu keeps it up, there's actually a chance they'll overtake Wayland.

On the down-side, Unity Next looks like a tablet interface. If I wanted a tablet interface on my 23.5" desktop monitor I'd just run Windows 8. Unity is fine at this point, and I've actually gotten to really enjoy a lot of its features, but if the default Ubuntu desktop ever looks and functions like that monstrosity, I'm done with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    Judging by that video, Mir is looking pretty awesome for this stage of the game. Wayland took much longer than that to go from zero to running a desktop with X. If ubuntu keeps it up, there's actually a chance they'll overtake Wayland.

On the down-side, Unity Next looks like a tablet interface. If I wanted a tablet interface on my 23.5" desktop monitor I'd just run Windows 8. Unity is fine at this point, and I've actually gotten to really enjoy a lot of its features, but if the default Ubuntu desktop ever looks and functions like that monstrosity, I'm done with Ubuntu.
    From the video this is said to be the phone/tablet version. Looking forward to seeing the desktop version in motion.
    Last edited by tjeremiah; May 15th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post

As tjeremiah pointed out, it is the phone/tablet interface and NOT unity 8. It was just a vid to show Mir on the Desktop.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast