Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

"Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro

Re: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

I saw the second link on FaceBook, thanks to OMG Ubuntu.

"Unity's moving away from Compiz..."
    I've read both articles, but I'm not sure to understand.

Does that mean all the kickass Compiz effects (Some cool, others useful) will be gone ?! :O

Thanks for the confirmation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Does that mean all the kickass Compiz effects (Some cool, others useful) will be gone ?! :O

Thanks for the confirmation.
    My guess is they'll recreate the effects currently present in a default-install, but stuff like wobbly windows, painting with fire etc. will probably have to wait for someone to have enough spare time.

On the up-side we get flickerless boot-up and salvation from the more buggy side of Compiz (hopefully) + a slew of other stuff. The specification-link in the article already has me convinced that this is a good thing(tm)
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Interesting reading:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the development of Wayland now that the biggest Linux distro has ditched it...

I'm also starting to doubt that Lubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu will continue to exist after so many changes: rolling release, new display server, focus on Ubuntu Touch, etc. At least, in their current form: based on Ubuntu. Using Debian on the other hand should be a lot easier so maybe they'll switch to it? I guess we should find that out soon, after the Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu teams analyze their options.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubunt...ay-server.html
    Last edited by Dry Lips; March 5th, 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

A display server is a pretty massive undertaking. I hope this turns out well.

Beans

I don't fully understand the implications of this tbh. I feel it could go badly and further distance Ubuntu from other Linux flavors, which again could be good but I can see bad points.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I wonder how this will work out for the Ubuntu derivatives. Will Kubuntu start using Mir + Kwin for example or will they 'simply' keep X and their own compositors?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu going down the Apple path?

https://plus.google.com/107555540696...ts/hzRy1rJaafc

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    I don't fully understand the implications of this tbh. I feel it could go badly and further distance Ubuntu from other Linux flavors, which again could be good but I can see bad points.
    It's a strange conundrum. On one side there's a lot of people screaming about how Canonical is trying to "take control of Linux" by forcing a new display-server, all the while the same people demand utter subservience to the mighty X.org. On the other side there's Ubuntu trying to drag these people kicking and screaming into an age where the main graphical software component isn't 25 years old.

I'm with Ubuntu on this one. As long as the software stays open source, people shouldn't mind. It's not their money, and it's not their time being spent.

If it had been just another music-player then people would have nodded and went about their business; I'd frankly rather see a new display server IMHO, but when it comes to big components like these then suddenly EVERYBODY is mayor in Sim City and want to decide which basket all the eggs should be put in :-/

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast