Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Hate driven development is a powerful thing. Probably won't last though.
    I don't think it's hate. More of a competition thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Hate driven development is a powerful thing. Probably won't last though.
    I think it's mostly a way to show suport to there upstream. Both KDE and GNOME has worked with the prepartaion for wayland a time now. At least the KWIN developer has blogged about it sometimes and I think it exist a year old experimental port of gnome mutter to wayland.
    edit a example https://phab.enlightenment.org/phame...cking_wayland/
    Last edited by hainen; March 14th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Judging by that video, Mir is looking pretty awesome for this stage of the game. Wayland took much longer than that to go from zero to running a desktop with X. If ubuntu keeps it up, there's actually a chance they'll overtake Wayland.

On the down-side, Unity Next looks like a tablet interface. If I wanted a tablet interface on my 23.5" desktop monitor I'd just run Windows 8. Unity is fine at this point, and I've actually gotten to really enjoy a lot of its features, but if the default Ubuntu desktop ever looks and functions like that monstrosity, I'm done with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    Judging by that video, Mir is looking pretty awesome for this stage of the game. Wayland took much longer than that to go from zero to running a desktop with X. If ubuntu keeps it up, there's actually a chance they'll overtake Wayland.

On the down-side, Unity Next looks like a tablet interface. If I wanted a tablet interface on my 23.5" desktop monitor I'd just run Windows 8. Unity is fine at this point, and I've actually gotten to really enjoy a lot of its features, but if the default Ubuntu desktop ever looks and functions like that monstrosity, I'm done with Ubuntu.
    From the video this is said to be the phone/tablet version. Looking forward to seeing the desktop version in motion.
    Last edited by tjeremiah; May 15th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ZarathustraDK
    I agree with your post #10 but ONLY if there remain options. I personally do not like integrated GUI's like Apple had and I really dislike Unity: I can't find anything. Maybe that's simply what I am used to for the last 25 years or so and I am a dinosaur but on the other hand that is no good reason to force people to change their habits. I am using Ubuntu for actual work to make a living and do not have the time to get used to new paradigms that offer in IMO no benefit whatsoever over what I am doing today. Change is good, change without benefit is waste.
    Lutz

Beans
    Hidden!

Will MIR work better with older video hardware to deliver smooth video performance of internet video?

I have an older laptop with nvidia go 6150 and it struggles with internet video. Such as full screen lags, stutter.
    Audio video can get out of sync.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post

As tjeremiah pointed out, it is the phone/tablet interface and NOT unity 8. It was just a vid to show Mir on the Desktop.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011