Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: MIR will be the new display server, and Unity will be ported to Qt

whatever they do I hope the scale plugin for compiz remains or improves.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans

I have a feeling compiz is not going to survive this transition. As I understand it, development of compiz is over; it would take a major effor to port it to a new display manager.

I'm sure the same effects & features will be there, but they'll be re-written from scratch.

Beans

Another internetz flamewar about vapourware... And as always I'll wait for the result before passing judgement. If anything ever comes of this I'll vote by using the best distro for my needs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Another internetz flamewar about vapourware... And as always I'll wait for the result before passing judgement. If anything ever comes of this I'll vote by using the best distro for my needs.
    Wayland isn't vaporware anymore, I have Arch Linux on one of my computers and they ship Wayland and Weston in the extra repository, the same in which they have Xorg. More and more gtk3 applications has begun to work in Weston out of the box lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wayland certainly isn't vapourware, but there have been people questioning whether or not Canonical actually have the expertise and the manpower required to build something like MIR from scratch.

I'm not sure myself, I'm no expert on the questions involved so I cannot tell whether or not what they say is true. So at least according to some people it is possible that MIR is a dead end, that they will tie up a lot of resources in this project and will have to abandon it in the end. That would of course be bad for Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wayland/Weston is not vapourware as it is already running can be tested and there are already efforts to bring in wayland support in major toolkits. MIR developers have to code all this support and hope that all this code get included in various upstream toolkits (and hope that this changes get accepted) in a very short time frame. I found an email about Gnome's ongoing wayland support: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/rele.../msg00087.html

With all past posts it seems that developers are more interested in to do more wayland work as nobody knows which code get published from Canonical devs. That skunk works coding is fine for closed source projects but not for open source projects.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    With all past posts it seems that developers are more interested in to do more wayland work as nobody knows which code get published from Canonical devs. That skunk works coding is fine for closed source projects but not for open source projects.
    From wikipedia:
    A skunkworks project is one typically developed by a small and loosely structured group of people who research and develop a project primarily for the sake of radical innovation.

Everett Rogers defines skunkworks as follows: "[It] is an especially enriched environment that is intended to help a small group of individuals design a new idea by escaping routine organizational procedures. The R&D workers in a skunkworks are usually highly selected, given special resources, and work on a crash basis to create an innovation."
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    Wayland/Weston is not vapourware as it is already running can be tested and there are already efforts to bring in wayland support in major toolkits. MIR developers have to code all this support and hope that all this code get included in various upstream toolkits (and hope that this changes get accepted) in a very short time frame. I found an email about Gnome's ongoing wayland support: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/rele.../msg00087.html

Open source is not about how you write code, but about how you distribute code.

Beans
    Distro

Oddly enough, the MIR announcement might actually be good for wayland because it seems to have lit a fire under the gnome & kde devs to get a move on with their support for for wayland.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Oddly enough, the MIR announcement might actually be good for wayland because it seems to have lit a fire under the gnome & kde devs to get a move on with their support for for wayland.
    Hate driven development is a powerful thing. Probably won't last though.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast