sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms
    Then:

Code:
    cd Desktop   <--or wherever you downloaded the deb
        sudo dpkg -i wire*.deb
        sudo modprobe wl
    Good luck!

----Start original post----

I've done a fair bit of googling and since this is a new laptop with no data saved to it yet I went ahead and just tried to reinstall a few times after trying a few "solutions" on AskUbuntu, none of which ever worked for various reasons. One of them involved installing the build-essential package and downloading a deb file from someone's dropbox. The result I got out of that (after examining a log file) said something like a folder it was looking for (during the build process) didn't exist. Another solution involved reinstalling the... f-cutter package (sorry, I don't remember exactly what but I'm sure most here know what that's about). Anyway that didn't work either.

So right now I am running Ubuntu 12.10 (uname -a output: Linux Vostro-2520 3.5.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 13 17:48:01 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux). Using my android as an external wireless adapter I connected to the internet before installing and applied updates during as well as after install. As of right now there are no more updates available. (Edit: Just to be clear, I have installed nothing else nor attempted anything new to try and get this adapter fixed yet and await the first suggestions I see here instead).

Also, if I go into Software Sources and look under the Additional Drivers tab it does not list any proprietary drivers either in use or available to be enabled; it's empty.

Relevant output from lspci -nn:

Code:
    07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
    Output of iwconfig:

Code:
    usb0      no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.
    rfkill list all:

Code:
    0: hci0: Bluetooth
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no
    Anyway, it's my dads and I'll be seeing him on Saturday so I've got some time to work with this and hopefully get feedback from y'all on any problems I encounter on suggestions about getting this puppy up and running. Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by diablo75; December 13th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Dell Vostro 2520 with 12.10; wireless (BCM43142) not working

Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365]
    Please see here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21589.../215923#215923

Note well:
    I am not sure it is even possible in a 32-bit system.
    And, of course, this!
    Awesome, that worked!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

This did the trick. I believe the key difference here in these instructions as opposed to other solutions I came across on AskUbuntu is the inclusion of the dkms package, which I don't recall seeing posted elsewhere. It might also be possible that the deb file included is different than the one I was downloading earlier. What I can happily say is this did the trick perfectly! Thank you very much!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    This did the trick. I believe the key difference here in these instructions as opposed to other solutions I came across on AskUbuntu is the inclusion of the dkms package, which I don't recall seeing posted elsewhere. It might also be possible that the deb file included is different than the one I was downloading earlier. What I can happily say is this did the trick perfectly! Thank you very much!!
    All exactly true. You'd almost think someone went to the trouble to install it on a 64-bit 12.10 system without error before they wrote the instructions.

Glad it's working. Please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved. The searchers will appreciate it.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi I have tried all the above things but there is still issue in wireless.It still says no properietary drivers found... Kindly suggest on what needs to be done to resolve this issue

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen Goud View Post
    Hi I have tried all the above things but there is still issue in wireless.It still says no properietary drivers found... Kindly suggest on what needs to be done to resolve this issue
    Do you have exactly the same device?
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    Is yours a 64-bit system?
    Code:
    arch
    Is there any error when you load the driver?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Are these the instructions you followed?
    Please verify your pci.id with a terminal command:

lspci -nn

Is it 14e4:4365? I am not sure it is even possible in a 32-bit system. If you have a 64-bit system and the device I mentioned, then I suggest this package: http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian/po...19-1_amd64.deb

First install the prerequisites:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms
    Then install the package with:

Code:
    cd Desktop   <--or wherever you downloaded the deb
    sudo dpkg -i wire*.deb
    sudo modprobe wl