Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ralink 5390 / Compaq presario cq57: Wireless is not working

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 / Compaq presario cq57: Wireless is not working

hi,

I have the same problem but for HP compaq CQ45.
    I have done the uname -a thing that was mentioned earlier.

I went to the link but they asked for email and handle and looks like iit is a drivers download program of some kind.
    I have had runins with such programs downloading and popups etc in the past so I did not download it from the link.

But I have downloaded the 3473742-Relink__5390sta-2.5.03_dkms.tar.gz and 3473742-RT2860STA.dat.tar.gz mentioned later.

Now my question is probably obvious to you gurus.
    Can I follow the same procedure for as before for the first file? Can I just rename it to xjf 2011 so I can follow the procedure
    or just replace the xjf 2011 for the above file nams And what do I do with the second file?

regards
    Pzaw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pzaw View Post
    I went to the link but they asked for email and handle and looks like iit is a drivers download program of some kind.
    I have had runins with such programs downloading and popups etc in the past so I did not download it from the link.
    If you followed the mediatek.com link : http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downl...il.php?sn=5001 from post #7, then be assured that it is the official download link for Ralink 5390 driver. The name and email fields on the page are just formalities. If you don't want to supply your actual name or email there, fill in any random name and email id that looks like a real email (e.g. - someone@something.com), and the download will immediately start. The downloaded file would be a '.bz2' file of less than 1MB size. (as of now, it is "2011_1007_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO_v2 .bz2.bz2").

Once downloaded, copy it to your Ubuntu computer and follow the instructions in post #7.

The dkms package attached by praseodym should be able to auto update whenever you have a kernel upgrade, but I haven't tested it myself, and right now am a bit short of time, so can't help with that. So either wait for his input, or just follow what I suggested above with the official proprietary driver.

Also, something you should know - the 'xjf' part in the commands I suggested is not a part of the filename, but is actually an option to the 'tar' command.
    x - means 'extract'
    j - means the file to be extracted is a 'bzip2' type archive
    f - means the file name is ... (filename after it)

For complete reference, if you are interested, use 'man tar' or 'tar --help' command.

The file name starts with "2011.." and pressing 'Tab' key does the job of autofilling the rest of the name (saving you the trouble of typing the full name of the file).

Feel free to post back any questions you may have and we'll try to answer as soon as we can get time to. And of course, your feedback would be most appreciated

Good luck!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

hi,

thank you very much I will try it armed with this new iformation.

Once again thank you very much.
    Deeply appreciated.

Regards
    Pzaw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123