Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 3.9 is here...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 3.9 is here...

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    Don't have link. But I read somewhere that EXT4 had a issue that corrupted files. And if I remember right it was very rare issue and the one who fight with the issue had enabled some features on ext4 which are not enabled by default. This haven't happened just recently. But I bet you have read/heard about it if you have been here some time.
    ahh. I see.

If I want to improve kernel developing, should I take note on my dmesg everytime I upgrade kernel? Or how do I find kernel bugs?
    Most people don't bother reading dmesg unless there actually is a problem so i would not bother Even then many don't bother reading it.

Unless you have a problem there is really no need to worry about kernel bugs.

If you do have a kernel problem the best thing you can do is to report it as a bug on Launchpad.

I have checked my dmesg just recently and I have plenty of stuff there that I don't understand. I definitely would want someone to explain. Just because I am curious. Not because I need the info.
    To understand the dmesg messages you will need a good understanding of hardware and how the Linux kernel actually works.

-site note- I have noticed that Phoronix has constantly discussion on it's forums about hardware/software that goes so deep that it's impossible to follow. It's like messing with dmesg.
    You'll pick it up as you get more experienced if that's what you want to learn.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Have you noticed while updating recent kernels that you have lost your hdmi sounds? I don't know what happened. I am trying to install some games via playonlinux. And suddenly I noticed that my sounds aren't working anymore. Rebooted and I notice that the amplifier gives signal that it losts singal from pc when kde starts to load the icons. Not necessary a kernel fault, but I don't understand what would cause it. Has been working well for months.

Beans

I definitely have lost sounds. I am using external amplifier via hdmi cable. The amplifier has a red dot if the signal is ok from pc and it drops everytime I boot into kde. I am using non-open source ati drivers.

I tried to use earlier kernel. No help. I did some 13.10 kubuntu updates earlier today which reflected initramfs (what ever that really is?)

What does this mean, dmesg

[ 10.124116] EXT4-fs (sda5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    [ 10.801965] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [ 11.512209] EXT4-fs (sda6): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

I added some new space to my linux system today, created new partion which I seem not to have write access at all. What's the easiest way to give access?

For some reason I cannot find any OPENGL DRIVERS ANYMORE.

How to reinstall opengl?

edit

found a command to reinstall opengl, not receiving same steam error. Able to launch it now. But still no sounds...Everytime I boot the computer the sounds are dropped when kde starts to load the starting icons...
    Last edited by deri; May 10th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    I definitely have lost sounds. I am using external amplifier via hdmi cable. The amplifier has a red dot if the signal is ok from pc and it drops everytime I boot into kde. I am using non-open source ati drivers.
    I have no experience with HDMI so i will be no help. The only suggestion i can offer is to ask if you have set HDMI as the preffered playback method ?

You may want to post your video card model to see if others can help you.

I tried to use earlier kernel. No help. I did some 13.10 kubuntu updates earlier today which reflected initramfs (what ever that really is?)
    The Initial ram filing system (initramfs) is a compressed file that contains a bunch of kernel modules and scripts required to mount your root partition and start the 'init' process (amongst other things).

What does this mean, dmesg

[ 10.124116] EXT4-fs (sda5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    [ 10.801965] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [ 11.512209] EXT4-fs (sda6): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    These are the message about your filing systems being mounted.

The top one (sda5) is your root partition.

It gets mounted read-only at the start so fsck can be run if required. It then gets re-mounted read-write. If any errors are encountered then sda5 will be re-mounted read-only again to stop any more filing system damage.

The other two (sda1, sda6) are supplementary filing systems that it is mounting.

I added some new space to my linux system today, created new partion which I seem not to have write access at all. What's the easiest way to give access?
    Change the mount point so that you are the owner. Give that a try after it's mounted.

Code:
    sudo chown $USER:$USER <mount_point>
    Anyway deri, I'm getting rather worried that this thread may be drifting off topic so please start new threads for your questions.

We don't want to hijack this thread.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 10th, 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

I made a reinstall of system, it got too complicated because some purge wanted to delete so much files. Now I am reinstalling stuff. And nearly there where I was before. But I am facing strange kernel panic. I have had this 2 times now. Kernel is 3.8 series. Once I log into kde I go to system logs and I have tried to search the error messages, but I have not been able. Where to search the kernel panic? It says something about cpu3 and switching to console and panic occured. I am going to upgrade kernel back to 3.9 series I didn't have this issue back then.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617