Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: home server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: home server

Well I do know that I can access the IP inside my LAN. However maybe what I am doing it not a true test? I can remote in from my phone to do anything with a VNC viewer type application. So I know it's there, however I haven't tried going through run. I'll have to try that tonight. I already removed all of my nautilus shares so I don't see why samba isn't working out for me. I still have that short conf file that you gave me darkod and I'll revert back to that tonight to see if it works. Maybe the one part that I was missing was trying to run it through the command, but I was trying to access it through my network "tab" if you will on Win7. I am in the process right now of re-downloading ubuntu 12.10, unetbootin and the md5 checker in order to verify the download before I create my bootable USB. Maybe I'll skip out on lunch just to try it. Hopefully I can get this thing to work.

However even with a fresh install, won't my file permissions be the same? These files aren't on my boot disk but on my array and other added drive. So that shouldn't change at all right? I plan on unplugging all the drives so that when I install I only have the one selection and don't screw anything up. That makes sense right?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home Server Running Trusty 14.04
    Dualboot Ubuntu 14.04/Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There have been cases where the shares don't show up in Network in windows. Some of them unexplained.

It might have something to do with the workgroup option (are all your windows machines members of the default WORKGROUP workgroup?). Because some people change that and it might be the reason shares not showing up in Network.

In any case, by IP it should show if shares are available or not, that's the best and most direct way.

Try that first, you might not need to reinstall again.

If you did the chmod a+rw on /storage and /500gb that took care of the permissions, so you don't need to do that again.

As for unplugging hardware when installing an OS, I'm personally against it because my firm belief is that the OS needs to see all hardware as present during the install. It might even show you that it's not recognizing something, so you will be able to see that right away during the install.
    But with multiple disks, that does mean you have to be extra careful where you install things, what you delete, etc.

Many people don't want to bother so simply disconnect disks.

Also, I don't know how much data you already put on the array, but playing too much with it (connecting/disconnecting) might also mess something up if things go wrong.

It's all a personal preference and it's up to you.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For what it's worth, I've been using the default smb.conf for a long time. I don't think I changed anything except adding the share definitions this time. The snippet I posted above should get you started.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Darkod you are a genius. I was able to run to the address, however for some reason I cannot view it as a place on my network. Does that make sense? So if you look at the attached jpg it shows how my network looks after running windows +r and typing in the address as you see it. However it doesn't show up under computer. Why is that? Do you have any ideas as to what I can do on the windows side for it to show up? Here is another odd thing. I was able to connect using \\server-box just like I was before. However for some reason it doesn't want to stay and I can't ask it to connect at log on. Did I forget a step on the windows side of things?
    network.jpg

So after I just restarted the location disappeared, however I am able to connect to it again. Why doesn't my computer recognize it as it did before? It new the name and everything without having to do anything to connect.
    Last edited by RobertKH; April 11th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did you set the netbios name in smb.conf?

I ran into something like that before I put a DNS server on my network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I did. This is the output of my entire smb.conf file
    Code:
    [global]
    	workgroup = WORKGROUP
    	netbios name = SERVER-BOX 
    	security = share

usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershare
    	usershare max shares = 100
    	usershare allow guests = yes
    	usershare owner only = no

[RAID]
    	path = /storage
    	guest ok = yes
    	read only = no

[500gb]
    	path = /500gb
    	guest ok = yes
    	read only = no
    However I still get that "WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated" when I run testparm. I disabled all the right click shares, so any ideas as to why I keep getting this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RobertKH View Post
    Yes I did. This is the output of my entire smb.conf file

However I still get that "WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated" when I run testparm. I disabled all the right click shares, so any ideas as to why I keep getting this?
    The warning is because you are using share level security instead of user level security, but it should still work.

Beans
    Distro

I also think what Charles said about DNS has something to do with it.

Not only that the workgroup needs to be set exactly the same for all machines, they should also use same DNS server.

If your clients on the LAN are receiving the router IP as DNS (most probable scenario at home), but on your server static settings you put another DNS server, it might not show it in Network because of that I think.

Are the DNS servers different or the same?

At the end of the day, I wouldn't bother too much. You can map the shares so they will show in Computer always as long as the server is running. Doesn't really matter if the server is shown in Network or not.

I don't know if it's a 100% proof, but I just checked and on both my server and my desktop wi-fi network adapter I have static DNS the google servers: 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

And in Computer on the desktop it does show my server under Network.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you don't have a local DNS server (usually a router) or a host cannot be found via DNS, Windows will do a broadcast via netbios and find the machine that way. It's not pretty, but it works "ok" for the most part.

If you are able to access the shares, it should be ok now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Right but I want it to be accessible via the desktop Computer folder under Network. I do have a router, but I don't think I am using DNS. I am not the greatest at routing. As I said before though nothing has changed since the last time, with the exception of the nautilus shares. This is truly odd. I think that I can add them as a library location, but I am not entirely sure. Also the other problem is that my iTunes uses the library that I have located on the server itself. after searching for it and then opening up iTunes it worked just fine. I haven't tried to do it without searching for the server first. I'll try that later...

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast