Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    48

    Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Yep, I just installed ubuntu-desktop on my lubuntu-box...

    Never mind why I did that, what I'd like to know, is how to remove it with the least amount of pain.

    Steps I've done so far (probably to make fixing it harder, hehe)

    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    which only removed a ~50kb package. I then thought I'd auto-clean, to get rid of all the packages that came with ubuntu-desktop

    Code:
    sudo apt-get auto-clean
    which seemed to remove a mix of lubuntu-installed packages, and new packages from ubuntu-desktop.

    Without any backup - is it possible to remove all new packages installed by ubuntu-desktop, and keep the old packages that both OS'es use?
    I'm thinking, get a list of those packages, and just

    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove [ALL THOSE PACKAGES]
    or something...

    Please help me with this one!

    cheers!=)
    Last edited by Kols; March 9th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    I'm sure one of these links will provide the required information.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santander, Spain
    Beans
    1,629
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Follow the instructions given in this link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntu to remove ubuntu desktop.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    Follow the instructions given in this link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntu to remove ubuntu desktop.
    Psychocats FTW.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    48

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Hi again!

    I ended up doing it the hard way. Backing up everything in home-folder except for most configs, and complete reinstallation. Actually, this turned out to be a better solution, because this time I had an incentive to partition to / and /home, and I'm now running 12.10.

    Anyways, thanks for answering! I know know how to do it for later. Will mark thread solved!

    What's really annoying, is that I couldn't seem to find any command that only removes the the newly installed packages. For example, if Lubuntu uses package 1 and 2 and Ubuntu installs package 3 but also installs package 2 if missing - why can't I run a command that only removes package 3?

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    79

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Psychocats FTW.
    Amen!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    177
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    I have this problem as well. Not paying attention to everything I copied/pasted, I accidentally installed ubuntu-desktop. The page on Psychocat's website is for 12.10 and I'm running Kubuntu 13.10. I tried it anyway and got a list of "E: couldn't find..." and "E: Unable to locate..."

    Does anyone have a new solution? I wish there were a rule in place stating that package installers should include a comprehensive uninstall utility or a least a list of packages dpkg can read and then remove.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    4,534
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kols View Post
    What's really annoying, is that I couldn't seem to find any command that only removes the the newly installed packages. For example, if Lubuntu uses package 1 and 2 and Ubuntu installs package 3 but also installs package 2 if missing - why can't I run a command that only removes package 3?
    Actually, there is:
    autoremove
    autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
    installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no
    longer needed.

    [...]

    --auto-remove
    If the command is either install or remove, then this option acts
    like running autoremove command, removing the unused dependency
    packages. Configuration Item: APT::Get::AutomaticRemove.
    Source: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...apt-get.8.html

    Might not always work sufficiently though.

    Btw, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kols View Post
    I then thought I'd auto-clean, to get rid of all the packages that came with ubuntu-desktop

    Code:
    sudo apt-get auto-clean
    which seemed to remove a mix of lubuntu-installed packages, and new packages from ubuntu-desktop.
    ... is, 1.) misspelled, and 2.) does this:
    autoclean
    Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved
    package files. The difference is that it only removes package files
    that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This
    allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it
    growing out of control. The configuration option
    APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from being
    erased if it is set to off.
    Source: same as above.

    Regards.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    48

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Actually, there is:

    Source: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...apt-get.8.html

    Might not always work sufficiently though.

    Btw, this:

    ... is, 1.) misspelled, and 2.) does this:

    Source: same as above.

    Regards.
    ...Not sure if everything is quoted now, but anyways.

    I do think I did both autoclean (correct spelling now=P ) and autoremove. The problem was, the extra ubuntu-packages weren't really redundant, as most of them can be used by both Lubuntu and Ubuntu. Even after removing AND purging ubuntu-desktop, all those extra packages lingered. Psychocat suggested a method where one would remove a long list of packages, which mostly were installed by the ubuntu-desktop package, but that one would always run the risk of removing SHARED packages, thus breaking your "main"-system. Therefore, reinstallation of the whole shebang.

    I don't regret that - as a result of the reinstallation, I've learned the following; How to add colors in prompt (not node-colors and such, I had that from before - but color assosiated with ls and grep, etc), that compton is much nicer than xcompmgr-dana, and that there is a an OS called elementaryOS. All good things!=D

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Installed ubuntu-desktop - how to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kols View Post
    ...Not sure if everything is quoted now, but anyways.

    I do think I did both autoclean (correct spelling now=P ) and autoremove. The problem was, the extra ubuntu-packages weren't really redundant, as most of them can be used by both Lubuntu and Ubuntu. Even after removing AND purging ubuntu-desktop, all those extra packages lingered. Psychocat suggested a method where one would remove a long list of packages, which mostly were installed by the ubuntu-desktop package, but that one would always run the risk of removing SHARED packages, thus breaking your "main"-system. Therefore, reinstallation of the whole shebang.

    I don't regret that - as a result of the reinstallation, I've learned the following; How to add colors in prompt (not node-colors and such, I had that from before - but color assosiated with ls and grep, etc), that compton is much nicer than xcompmgr-dana, and that there is a an OS called elementaryOS. All good things!=D
    Psychocats' tutorial doesn't run those risks, it only removes non-shared packages installed by ubuntu-desktop. The author of psychocats has been an admin on this forum and knows Linux inside and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •