Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good USB WiFi/PCI WiFi adapter that'll work with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What's a good USB WiFi/PCI WiFi adapter that'll work with Ubuntu?

I have a Netgear WNDA USB dongle and it can't work with any OS out the box (let alone Linux distros!) What's a good PCI-based WiFi adapter, or even a USB dongle that'll work with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: What's a good USB WiFi/PCI WiFi adapter that'll work with Ubuntu?

Check out this link: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

This seems to be a set of compatible hardware and drivers built right into the kernel for USB wireless adapters. Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Oh, damn. I have a WNDA3100, but I see the 3200 is supported. xD What about PCI cards? Am I better off with them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    Oh, damn. I have a WNDA3100, but I see the 3200 is supported. xD What about PCI cards? Am I better off with them?
    Not really. It doesn't matter if a card connects via PCI or USB, if the chipset is not supported it won't work.

USB is probably a better bet as it's easier to sell if it doesn't work on Linux

The last time I wanted a USB wifi device to work with Linux, I looked on Amazon and found one that advertised Linux compatibility. On the current version of Ubuntu at the time, I needed to blacklist a module to make it work. On the next version of Ubuntu, I didn't, it just worked out of the box.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; March 4th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just installed the Edimax EW-7128Gn 32-bit PCI adapter. It worked "out of the box" on my 12.04 box. I got it from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/EW-7128Gn-150M.../dp/B0067I4Z6O. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Belkin F5D7050
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wifi adapters and linux are a bit of a mine field. I recommended Dlink DWA-131 as 'plug -n- play'. I recently learned there is a firmware V.2 version of the DWA-131 which is not only not plug -n- play, it currently does not play at all, even with NDISwrapper. AFAIK TrendNet's TEW-649UB is still plug -n- play. If you can find Intel based PCI cards, I think they mostly work although some have issues with N speeds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Get one of the Alfa Awus036 range, theyre cheap as hell have a massive range and have worked out of the box with no configuration for as long as I've had it, my friend recommended I get one and I was dubious when it arrived in the post as it feels cheap and naff in your hands but I'd never consider another adapter now
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just got a Rosewill USB 2.0 External 5dBi Antenna Wireless Adapter (RNX-N180UBE) from Amazon and it is plug/play it also really boosts the range it gives 5 bars when my old wireless got 1 or 2 .......... highly recommend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    Get one of the Alfa Awus036 range, theyre cheap as hell have a massive range and have worked out of the box with no configuration for as long as I've had it, my friend recommended I get one and I was dubious when it arrived in the post as it feels cheap and naff in your hands but I'd never consider another adapter now
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I have one of the Alfa devices. Big antenna, great for wardriving but also really good Linux-compatible wifi units. Highly recommended.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast