Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple install from iso to USB/HDD2 or net install, missing steps?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Simple install from iso to USB/HDD2 or net install, missing steps?

Are you using old versions? Or USB3 ports?

There were bugs with the installer a couple of years ago (or if you have files from 10.04).

Some also just have issues with certain flash drives.
    Post #14 some flash drives that did not work

Really old bugs.

syslinux errors help/enter works:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/617779
    Delete ui in syslinux.cfg
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/608382
    in the directory from "isolinux.cfg" to "syslinux.cfg"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078599
    Try replacing the file vesamenu.c32 on the USB disk drive with that one "/usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32" of Ubuntu Maverick system or use UNetbootin than works fine.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2120196
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm thinking I need to put an extra partition on the drive I want to install the ISO on, and install grub in that partition?

But the instructions seem to be telling me to modify my existing grub file on THIS drive so I can install the ISO to the drive I am currently on? I don't want to install on this drive (sda) I want to install on a different drive (sdc).

This is what I meant by missing steps. The instructions all seem to be there, just the connection from one thing to the next are assumed instead of explained.

So I'm assuming I really want to install grub somewhere on sdc and not just modify the grub file on sda.

So I'm playing with it, but afraid of accidently installing on the drive I'm using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have grub on every drive. But I modify the grub I normally boot from to include the grub entry to loopmount an ISO. You do not install grub to partitions. Its boot loader goes into the MBR.
    Only if installing just grub without a system, then you install grub to that device. But you have to manually create a grub.cfg as the extra grub folders with scripts and parameter settings are not installed (they are part of Ubuntu).

You just do not want the ISO in the partition you want to install into. And best not on same drive. But if not in an extended partition so you are not mounted the extended, it should even work on same drive.

So where are you installing it?
    To simplify my changes to grub I now use this in my grub. But I boot from sdc. From grub the boot drive is hd0. So my sdb drive becomes hd2 and I have my /iso/ folder in my 4th partition. The I create a text file in my iso folder so I can edit it with changes and never have to edit 40_custom again.

gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry 'Live ISOs' {
    configfile (hd2,4)/iso/livecdimage.cfg
    }

Then livecdimage.cfg is this:

Code:
    # livecdimage.cfg
    # Add this to 40_custom to load this file:
    # menuentry 'Live ISOs' {
    # configfile (hd2,4)/iso/livecdimage.cfg
    #} 
    # Add iso names to livecdimage.cfg
    #for i in `ls *.iso`;do echo "# "$i>>livecdimage.cfg; done;

menuentry "Ubuntu 13.04 Raring ISO 64bit" {
        set isofile="/iso/raring-desktop-amd64.iso"
        insmod part_gpt
        loopback loop (hd2,4)$isofile 
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile nomodeset
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

The ISO is on the drive I'm using now, sda1, and I want to install the new OS to empty hdd sdc.

Adding the menuentry to 40_custom doesn't seem to do anything. I can't mount the specified ISO from the specified location.
    What is the user supposed to do in order to get the ISO to mount after adding the menuentry? Is it different from just booting the computer?
    Last edited by Luxx; March 31st, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You should just be able to boot the ISO.

But you have to have drive numbering and path correct in grub when you reboot. Sometimes that takes a bit of experimenting depending on errors you get. If you have /iso folder in same drive and first partition then the drive in grub will be hd0,1. Where did you create the iso folder? And it cannot be the path as you see it in Ubuntu because that is after Ubuntu has mounted it.

And did you create the liveimage.cfg file in the /iso folder?

Use e on grub menu to see the boot stanza you have created and edit if need be.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, my... I can't believe how simple it really was.

When it didn't seem to be working at first I was about to go through all kinds of trouble-shooting and re-reading, etc. when I ran across a little tip I hadn't noticed before. It appears all I had to do was hold down the shift key so the grub menu would come up, and there it was. I installed Ultimate Edition to sdc and it worked beautifully, until I tried to get back into my hard drive, sda.

Now Ultimate Edition has taken over my computer completely. I can't get back into the hdd I was in before. It doesn't boot. I can only boot into the 3rd drive now.

...and I can't even see my other drives from this one except in the partition manager. Maybe this was a really bad idea. I hope I can get back into my Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Luxx; March 31st, 2013 at 06:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

When you have multiple drives, you have to always use Something else or manual install just to get the combo box that gives the option on which drive's MBR to install grub2's boot loader into.Then you have to change BIOS to boot from that drive.

From new install you can reinstall grub to sdc.
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

But grub also remembers where to reinstall on major updates. This will reset that: #to get grub2 to remember where to reinstall on updates:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    #Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions

New version's grub should show your old install. Boot into old install and from it reinstall grub to sda.

#reinstall from working (not liveCD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sdb but use your drive not partitions):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sda" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

Beans
    Distro

Absolutely lovely! And with that, I am convinced that this really was an easier way to install a new OS to an additional hard drive.

The first time through may present a bit of a learning curve to someone who has never done it, but it's worth doing it this way if it's something you would use frequently.

Thank you so much for your expert guidance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad you got it working.

It more is that you have to be already booting with grub, and have another drive. And be willing to edit grub's 40_custom and some understanding of paths, partitions and mounts. A lot of users find all that way too complicated. Some distributions do not loopmount, but many do, but it can be a bit of a search to find the correct boot options.

But if installing often like with raring or just testing a new install it can be a lot quicker way to install.

I used flash drive before I converted to my other hard drive. But also find it a lot easier to just copy a new ISO to my /iso folder and edit my file to have the new name. I also easily add other ISOs and with my flash drive have many ISO as a full repair flash drive.
    Last edited by oldfred; April 1st, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12