Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300Mbps Wireless USB on 150Mbps Router getting only 50Mbps speed

Beans

Re: 300Mbps Wireless USB on 150Mbps Router getting only 50Mbps speed

You might be able to set the mode in windows by opening the Network and Sharing Center, then clicking Change Adapter settings , then right clicking your adapter and selecting properties, then clicking configure then advanced. (I have the realtek utility for my usb adapter and it allows me to specify B or G from the utility...) I'm not sure why the rate says 150Mbps, did you set it manually by typing in " iwconfig wlan0 rate 150M " ?

Other than that, I have no ideas. Good luck!
    Last edited by bellaseem; March 5th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No I didn't set it to manually, it was like that when I connected.
    Just for the sake of the test, I disabled the wireless password, so that shouldn't be the problem, but the speed remains the same.

I'll reboot to Windows now..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The bottom line of this thread is not to believe what is printed on the box, or what sticker is placed on the product. Only testing in your environment is what matters. Everything else is marketing or pure speculation. As far as the Network Dialog box, you could look at the code and see where the speed variable is pulled from. There are a lot of impediments to getting high wireless speed. Your best bet is to run Cat6 wires to several convenient locations around the house and be satisfied with 92-94 megabit/sec speeds.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    The bottom line of this thread is not to believe what is printed on the box, or what sticker is placed on the product. Only testing in your environment is what matters. Everything else is marketing or pure speculation. As far as the Network Dialog box, you could look at the code and see where the speed variable is pulled from. There are a lot of impediments to getting high wireless speed. Your best bet is to run Cat6 wires to several convenient locations around the house and be satisfied with 92-94 megabit/sec speeds.
    I agree, wired is the best way. But like I mentioned earlier, because I dont have any more ethernet ports on my router, before I buy a network switch, I wanted to try my luck with the hardware that I already had.

Ok, in Windows, it shows something else... First, I cant select N only, and second, It shows 72/144Mbps, who knows why ...

windows.jpg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bellaseem View Post
    Also this is relevant if you have the DD-WRT firmware on your router (or if you want to consider getting it [I have it and I would suggest it]:

"Then, if you really want to give your client a chance at max performance, you could enable 40MHz-wide channel mode on the 2.4GHz radio of your AP. It uses the lion's share of the 2.4GHz band and thus is quite likely to interfere with other things (and be interfered with by other things), but if you want a chance to get 150mbps instead of just 72.2mbps, you'll need to enable 40MHz channel mode. Try to at least lock your AP to one end of the band though, by picking either channel 1 or channel 13 (11 in North America)"
    You think DD-WRT firmware would help?
    BTW, I cant select 40MHz channel mode only, only options are 20MHz or 20/40Mhz

Beans

I think you might want to check it out, the link here says that it's ridiculously easy to install (and easy to uninstal too):

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-600

also, the link will give you more details about the firmware for dir-600 which I think you should read (it's not as well supported at other routers, so that might be a disadvantage)...

My experience with dd-wrt is that it performs better than the stock firmware (at least for my router, also a d-link, and it has many more options, and is less glitchy).

Oh and you can overclock your router too (haven't tried this)

EDIT: Just read about someone using DD-WRT to set the encryption to WPA2-AES and the banding to 40Mhz using dd-wrt and getting over 135Mbps after having a speed similar to yours... So I guess the solution is a firmware change for your DIR-600? here:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...0d112acec704ec
    Last edited by bellaseem; March 5th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well after trying to update the firmware to dd-wrt, I get the following message "Invalid image file. Please select the correct image file and upload it again."

Google shows that that only Revision B2 is supported and my says Bx so I think I can't use that firmware on my router. So I guess I'm back to square one.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Anyone got a tip on which my next router should be? Preferably not very expensive? Might change this one for a Gigabit one in the future. Until then, anyone got any more ideas I could try?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would spend some time on the dd-wrt forums and see what folks are using, then ask on that forum for a recommendation that will give you decent wireless-N performance.

Good, Fast, Cheap. Choose two.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I would spend some time on the dd-wrt forums and see what folks are using, then ask on that forum for a recommendation that will give you decent wireless-N performance.
    Last fall I swapped out my 7+ yr old trusty Buffalo router for a new, shiny GigE N-300 router. I had researched DD-WRT compatibility and was excited when it arrived. I flashed the new firmware and started to configure it for my subnets and multiple public IPs .... before actually connecting it to the WAN link. Everything was great and seemed stable. The WiFi part was only slightly interesting - I'm a CAT6/1000base-tx guy.

All was configured, so swapped out the old router for the new one. No WAN connection. Dead WAN port. Swapped cables. Dead. No light. LAN stuff was working just fine. WiFi was working ... er ... good enough - 75Mbps (thanks to a cheap N adapter in a laptop). Fine. More research showed that dd-wrt was missing the ability to enable the WAN port. Seems the OEM firmware has it disabled, then enables it after all the firewall filter rules are active. This prevents leaks through the router after a reboot. However, the WAN port default is disabled and dd-wrt never enables it.

More research on the dd-wrt forums ... and an odd group of steps were discovered to get the WAN port enabled.
    * flash OLD vendor firmware
    * flash specific German vendor firmware (with bug that resets WAN port open)
    * flash old DD-WRT
    * flash desired/current DD-WRT

My HS German is extremely rusty, but I managed. Seemed like a long way to go to get a few more GigE ports and WiFi-N (that I can't really use). I already had a d-link AP with B, A bands. Remember 72Mbps 802.11a?

If I were you, I'd go and buy a $20 8-port TRENDnet GigE switch (I have this, it replaced a burned out d-link) and be done. A new router is not required to get GigE speeds on the LAN if all the GigE capable devices are directly connected to that switch (not the router) and on the same subnet (usually a /24). 650Mbps - easy. You can slowly move over devices as you replace the 10/100 cards with GigE NICs, though the switch will handle 10/100/1000 fine. Your current router is working for the WAN bandwidth you have.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If I were you, I'd go and buy a $20 8-port TRENDnet GigE switch (I have this, it replaced a burned out d-link) and be done. A new router is not required to get GigE speeds on the LAN if all the GigE capable devices are directly connected to that switch (not the router) and on the same subnet (usually a /24). 650Mbps - easy. You can slowly move over devices as you replace the 10/100 cards with GigE NICs, though the switch will handle 10/100/1000 fine. Your current router is working for the WAN bandwidth you have.
    Oh I did not know that, thanks for the info! I always assumed if the router is limited to 100Mbps that the switch connected to the router would also be limited to that speed. But now that I think about it, it does make sense

Ok, well thank you all for your help, at least I learned some things here even tho I didnt solve the wifi problem
    I guess I'll try to find a cheap Gigabit switch then.

Thank you!

EDIT: erm... where is the "Mark as solved" button?
    Last edited by Thee; March 6th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast