Thread: Gnome is going away?

Beans

Gnome is going away?

I saw something about this and am frankly rather alarmed. Is gnome actually going away where Ubuntu is concerned? Unity is awful and seems unstable.

Can anyone give me the straight skinny on what is happening with Ubuntu and Gnome? I've been using it for a long time and hate to have to go looking for a new home at this late date.

Thank you,

Steve

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Gnome is going away?

Gnome 2,which is what I suspect you mean by gnome, is going, I'm afraid, to be replaced in ubuntu either by unity, gnome-shell, or gnome-classic (see 12.04 LTS Gnome Classic), or of course you can use another desktop entirely such as xfce (Xubuntu) KDE (Kubuntu) or LXDE (Lubuntu). They all have the same ubuntu base, and you can still install and use any package from the ubuntu repos whatever DE you have.

There are also some newer DEs available, which I have not used yet such as cinnamon and MATE, and as MATE is a fork of gnome 2, you may find that is the one for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Unity has been default since 11.04 and replaced gnome 2 and remains default, but the current versions still use Gnome 3 under the hood . I don't know if that is what you are referring to.

Gnome 2 has reached end of life and Mate is the latest incarnation of the that desktop. http://mate-desktop.org/
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 3rd, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by stevef5300 View Post
    I saw something about this and am frankly rather alarmed. Is gnome actually going away where Ubuntu is concerned? Unity is awful and seems unstable.

Can anyone give me the straight skinny on what is happening with Ubuntu and Gnome? I've been using it for a long time and hate to have to go looking for a new home at this late date.

Thank you,

Steve
    Gnome is not going away, it will continue to be available in the repositories. Gnome forks like Cinnamon and Mate will be available in PPAs as long as there are people who want them.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.