Thread: Add sudo to default guest account

Beans

Question Add sudo to default guest account

Hi

I am trying to add sudo to default guest account

Some one said to follow this process, but I am noob with usermod, and I am very confuse on this one. I dont know where to start.

You could use sudo and the usermod command from an account that does have sudo access to add theadm group (for 12.04) to the account. Don't forget to use the -a option to add the group rather than replacing the group list.

I try this comands in terminal:

id tom

And it sais.

uid=1000(tom) gid=1000(tom) groups=1000(tom),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip) ,46(plugdev),106(lpadmin),117(sambashare)

I am trying id command but with guest account, but sais account do not exist

id guest (account do not exist) I dont know wich is the name that Ubuntu refers to that account

I am lost on this one. Can some one can go on high detail about what is the correct command I need to put
    What command I need to put in the terminal in order to do this? I am getting the felling thats is not even a long command. And it must be so simple but as a noob I just cant see it.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Add sudo to default guest account

May I ask first why you would want to give a guest run of the house? Do you plan to limit the super user authority of the guest account to specific things?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I need to run openvpn and use a vpn connection. But in order to connect it needs administrator rights, it needs sudo. I know that there is a way of hardening openvpn and run it without administrators rights. But thast guide is even more dificult for me cause is obviously made for experience users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This sounds like a dangerous idea.
    User:To friend or not to friend--that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler to take an arrow to the knee or to suffer
    the slights and add's of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of trolls And by opposing feed them. www.evicsis.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duke.tim View Post
    This sounds like a dangerous idea.

Why dangerous?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I say dangerous assuming that by guest you do not mean restricted user account, but an account that would be used by guests.

By giving a guest account the ability to become the Super User, it makes it a LOT easier for someone to break into your system.
    They become the administrator and can do anything on your system.

Like Qlll said:
    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    May I ask first why you would want to give a guest run of the house? Do you plan to limit the super user authority of the guest account to specific things?
    My advice is take the time to understand the more advanced method, you can find information about editing/adding a user to the sudoers file here:
    http://www.garron.me/linux/visudo-co...lt-editor.html

And this has an example to add the ability to sudo to a user
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/7477/...e-command-line
    User:To friend or not to friend--that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler to take an arrow to the knee or to suffer
    the slights and add's of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of trolls And by opposing feed them. www.evicsis.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duke.tim View Post
    I say dangerous assuming that by guest you do not mean restricted user account, but an account that would be used by guests.

By giving a guest account the ability to become the Super User, it makes it a LOT easier for someone to break into your system.
    They become the administrator and can do anything on your system.

Like Qlll said:

My advice is take the time to understand the more advanced method, you can find information about editing/adding a user to the sudoers file here:
    http://www.garron.me/linux/visudo-co...lt-editor.html

And this has an example to add the ability to sudo to a user
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/7477/...e-command-line

Ok I see, but actually when I say guest account, I am refering to the one that have by default ubuntu, the one that comes protected with an apparmor profile and that erases anything you do everytime you log in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatGuy View Post
    Ok I see, but actually when I say guest account, I am refering to the one that have by default ubuntu, the one that comes protected with an apparmor profile and that erases anything you do everytime you log in.
    Surely if the guest can type "sudo su -" and then get a root prompt they can then install anything and change anything... Including disabling apparmor.
    Last edited by lou21; March 8th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lou21 View Post
    Surely if the guest can type "sudo su -" and then get a root prompt they can then install anything and change anything... Including disabling apparmor.
    A user needs to be in the sudo group in order to use it, the quest account is not a member of the sudo group, and can't be made a member.