Thread: how to rename music folders from id3 tags

Beans

Question how to rename music folders from id3 tags

Hi guys,

this must be very simple, but i'm not getting to do it...

I have my, rather big, music colection in folders in this form: Artist - Album
    and I want to rename my folders so they look like this: Artist - Album (Album Year)
    Simply, I just want to add the "Album Year", inside brackets, to the folder name... but the "Album Year" should only appear if the ID3 tag has that information, if not, keep inicial form.

I tried to do this with a Rhythmbox plugin, "fileorganizer" I think, but it messed up my sample of 10 albuns (sample, in case something went wrong) and added year "0" when ID3 has no year...

Can this be done easily in the command line? Or is there an application that can do this?
    If there's a script, or someone can lend a hand on writing one, if it helps, I can copy my colection when renaming it.

I will be very grateful for any help
    Cheers
    ASENSIO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to rename music folders from id3 tags

Can this be done easily in the command line?
    yes

are the files in album tagged uniformly? or is there a possibility that there are files with different year (maybe some kind of best of collection) or some do have it and some dont?
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

Thanks for your reply, Vaphell.

All the files are tagged uniformly, I've been using MusicBrainz Picard for tagging. It sets the year for all the files of the folder... when, for some reason, it can't set the year in all files of the album I leave it blank.

Cheers
    ASENSIO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

music=$HOME/Music    # path of music collection
    shopt -s nullglob

while read -rd $'\0' d
    do
      [[ $d =~ .*[(][0-9]{4}[)]$ ]] && echo "skipping '$d'" && continue
      year=''
      for f in "$d"/*.[mM][pP]3
      do
        year=$( mp3info2 -p '%y' "$f" )
        break
      done

if [ "$year" ]
      then
        echo "$year: $d"
        echo mv -- "$d" "$d ($year)"    # if the printout is ok, remove echo to perform mv
      else
        echo "????: $d"
      fi
    done < <( find "$music" -mindepth 1 -type d -print0 )
    this script ignores directories in XXX (2000) format, checks the first file in each dir (requires mp3info2) and if the year is not empty, it prints the mv command that is supposed to be run. If you like what you see, remove echo to actually do mv-ing.
    Last edited by Vaphell; March 4th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

Beans

First of all, thank you very much for your trouble, Vaphell.

The script works perfectly, but seems that several files have the YEAR tag in the format YYYY-MM-DD (example, using mp3info2 - Album: The Feeding Year: 2005-02-15)
    Weird, for the same album of that example, rhythmbox only shows the year 2005, no month and no day... that's why I told my tags where uniform. I was wrong...

I hope it's not too much to ask but is there anyway to amend the script so it cuts the date so I can get only the year?
    Sorry about the extra work and thanks again.
    ASENSIO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

banshee will keep your music folder organized and it has an option to use the format you requested too in "preferences>source specific>music>tick update file & folder name / folder hierarchy".

If you do decide to use banshee then for the intial addding of your current music I would use the option "preferences>source specific>copy files to media folder when importing", then move your music collection out of your music folder, empty your banshee library then reimport your music through banshee this will copy your music files back to your music folder. This sounds stupid but banshees music organiser is excellent at organising music you add through banshee but not so excellent at re-organising and moving an existing collection and this method will avoid getting a load of broken links in the banshee library and avoid empty folders in your music folder, banshee does have an annoying habit of doing that because the organiser won't remove empty directories
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

Thanks for the reply CaptainMark,

I tried to use banshee, not for this specifically, but to use normaly as a audio player, about 3 to 6 months ago... but adding my collection to the library kept crashing banshee, i tried several times and gave up. If nothing else works, I'll give it a go again. I don't think I'll switch from rhythmbox, but I can use banshee just to do this little, and apparently simple, job

Cheers
    ASENSIO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

in the script replace $year with ${year:0:4}, it will take only first four chars

Code:
    $ year=2011-11-15
    $ echo $year
    2011-11-15
    $ echo ${year:0:4}

Beans

it worked perfectly, thank you very much Vaphell. My music collection is exactly has i wanted

I think this thread is Solved

Again, thanks for your help
    Cheers
    ASENSIO
    Last edited by asensio; March 4th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.