Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0 speed very slow?

Beans

Unhappy USB 3.0 speed very slow?

Yesterday I got this Toshiba HDTB115EK3BA 1,5TB external drive
    plugged it into my
    AMD A6-3670 / Asus f1 m75 HTPC / xubuntu 12.10
    problem is, I only get 25mb/s write speed.

Based on the amazon reviews it can do 70mb/s on a usb3 connection.

I notice kinda high cpu load, don't know if this could be the issue.

iotop.txt
    lspci.txt
    top.txt

Anyone got an idea?

EDIT: just tried it on a Windows 7 laptop and got 91mb/s ... wtf?
    will try bios update next but..
    Last edited by Shin Asuka; March 3rd, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Beans

Re: USB 3.0 speed very slow?

Bios Updated from 2201 to 2206

no change... stil 25mb/s

(shameless bump)

Beans

Sounds like your using an NTFS pre-formated drive. While the NTFS drivers used allow you to read and write without problems, the resulting speed can be a drag. Unless you're dependent on NTFS, I would suggest trying a native format, say ext4, that should relieve the speed issue at least to some degree.

Beans

From my knowledge, Ubuntu 12.10 comes with current NTFS drivers built-in. I use 12.10 with USB 3 drives and don't notice any performance degradation over using Win7 with the same drives.

Notice you did a BIOS upgrade -- but in your first post, you said that you already got acceptable USB3 speeds in Win7 -- which, by definition, would use the SAME BIOS version -- since that is entirely OS independent. Curious about what inspired you to do a BIOS upgrade.

I did have a USB3 performance problem when I first assembled this machine, but that was fixed using a firmware upgrade to the USB 3.0 chip on the motherboard, not to the BIOS. Unfortunately, I had to do that upgrade in Windows.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; March 5th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    From my knowledge, Ubuntu 12.10 comes with current NTFS drivers built-in. I use 12.10 with USB 3 drives and don't notice any performance degradation over using Win7 with the same drives.

Notice you did a BIOS upgrade -- but in your first post, you said that you already got acceptable USB3 speeds in Win7 -- which, by definition, would use the SAME BIOS version -- since that is entirely OS independent. Curious about what inspired you to do a BIOS upgrade.

I did have a USB3 performance problem when I first assembled this machine, but that was fixed using a firmware upgrade to the USB 3.0 chip on the motherboard, not to the BIOS. Unfortunately, I had to do that upgrade in Windows.
    No, as I said, I tried a Laptop (some ACER intel i5m) with USB 3 and got 91mb/s.

My AMD HTPC only has Ubuntu on an SSD, I would like to try with Windows here but... don't want to reformat everything :/

Why I did a BIOS Update (that didn't help)? Well just try to get this damn thing working, can't hurt, can it?

Also the external drive is for regulary copying files to a windows box, so unless you have a good ext4 windows7 driver that is no option
    Last edited by Shin Asuka; March 6th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Beans

see the device manager and bios settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justincarter View Post
    see the device manager and bios settings.
    sorry, what?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asuka View Post
    .. Why I did a BIOS Update (that didn't help)? Well just try to get this damn thing working, can't hurt, can it?
    Actually, for future reference -- YES, it can!

I used to think along the same lines, until one day, I did a routine BIOS update to my Gigabyte motherboard and afterward it would not boot to the OS.

Did the usual stuff about removing the battery, choosing defaults, etc. -- nothing helped.

Fortunately, I did what many folks do NOT do -- I did a backup of my working BIOS before I flashed the update. So, I was able to reflash back to the working BIOS version -- and all was OK again. Later, Gigabytye removed that BIOS upgrade from their website.

So, yes, a bad BIOS update can trash your PC -- so don't just do it hoping it will fix something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asuka View Post
    sorry, what?
    As you noticed, vague suggestions like this one are not much use ...

Especially, as there is no actual Device Manager in Ubuntu -- but instead, there is HWInfo. That would give you information about the USB 3.0 in your PC -- which could be useful for you to track down firmware updates.

As to the BIOS settings, you could check to see if there is an option to enable/disable USB 3.0 -- but, it should be enabled by default.

Beans

As you noticed, vague suggestions like this one are not much use ...
    Don't you say...
    if I should clarify anything, please tell me.

Especially, as there is no actual Device Manager in Ubuntu -- but instead, there is HWInfo. That would give you information about the USB 3.0 in your PC -- which could be useful for you to track down firmware updates.
    Wait, first you tell me not to do BIOS updates, now you tell me to look for firmware updates?

As to the BIOS settings, you could check to see if there is an option to enable/disable USB 3.0 -- but, it should be enabled by default.
    there is no such option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast