Thread: Spell-Checking no longer works in Post edit boxes

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Spell-Checking no longer works in Post edit boxes

Hi!. All,

With the new Forum layout, Spell-Checking in Firefox no longer works in New Reply or New Thread edit boxes, errors are not underlined nor highlighted.

I have: "Check Spelling" ticked in the Right Click drop-down menu.

Also in Firefox>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General> "Check my spelling as I type", is ticked as well.

Is there some other way of re-activating this facility ??

Edit: I see an old Post saying the Forum does not do Spell-Checking, but it depends on the browser, so I guess I should have Posted this in the Firefox sticky.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; March 3rd, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Spell-Checking no longer works in Post edit boxes

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Is there some other way of re-activating this facility ??

Edit: I see an old Post saying the Forum does not do Spell-Checking, but it depends on the browser, so I guess I should have Posted this in the Firefox sticky.
    I can confirm that spell-checking is still working for me in Firefox post-upgrade. This would be a browser issue. The only thing I can suggest is in the right-click context menu, make sure that one of the Languages (under check spelling) is marked, although it should be anyway. If that doesn't help, do you want me to move this to the Firefox sticky?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, coffeecat,

Thanks for the response, I have reposted in the Firefox sticky, so you can close or delete this one if you consider that appropriate.

You Posted:
    The only thing I can suggest is in the right-click context menu, make sure that one of the Languages (under check spelling) is marked, although it should be anyway.
    I did that, and Presto!, with 'English (United Kingdom)' selected, Spell- Checking is now working!!

Thanks again, another Solved!! EDit: Only problem is that there is no 'Mark Thread as Solved' option in the Thread tools.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi!, coffeecat,

Thanks for the response, I have reposted in the Firefox sticky, so you can close or delete this one if you consider that appropriate.
    I've closed this one.

Hi!, coffeecat,You Posted:I did that, and Presto!, with 'English (United Kingdom)' selected, Spell- Checking is now working!!
    Excellent! I vaguely remember the check against English UK going awol for me once - I never did find out why!

Hi!, coffeecat,Thanks again, another Solved!! EDit: Only problem is that there is no 'Mark Thread as Solved' option in the Thread tools.
    Yes, the mark thread as solved plugin isn't compatible with vBulletin 4 and we will have to get a replacement installed. In the meantime, there's a workaround - in fact this is what everyone had to do before the days of the older plugin - in the thread below. As you can see from the conversation, there was a brief hiccup with the workaround but that should work for everyone now within the 60 day limit.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121377

I've marked this thread as solved anyway.

Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.