Thread: How to Edit Files via Samba on USB Flash Stick plugged into Netgear Router

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to Edit Files via Samba on USB Flash Stick plugged into Netgear Router

Hi all,

Just a regular Kubuntu/Xubuntu user . . . with little networking or Samba experience. Currently, I have an 8 gb PNY Flash Stick plugged into a USB port on my Netgear WGT624v4 Wireless Router. Via the Dolphin file manager, I can easily access my directories/files on the Flash Stick, and I can copy files from the Flash to another directory in Home (or other mounted drives). But I can't add, change or delete files on the PNY flash stick, while plugged in to the router.

I can unmount the flash stick and plug into my main workstation, and thereby edit the files via standard file tools, but I'd prefer to update the files via Samba while plugged into the router. Is that do-able?

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs up Re: How to Edit Files via Samba on USB Flash Stick plugged into Netgear Router

Well, as of this evening, all is working as normal on my samba shares re being able to add, change and delete. All I did was to remove the USB Flash Stick for a short while, then plugged it back into the router's usb port, and restarted the system. So, now I can once again rename files, add directories, delete and add - although I don't really understand why. Samba is still kind of a "black-box" to me, as the Dolphin file manager automatically handles access and update to the flash stick. At this point, I'm just going to review Ubuntu documentation re Samba, and perhaps some external sites such as You Tube.